• In the Spotlight:

Is my baby eating enough?

I have a one month old. She is only eating 2 1/2 to 3 oz every 3.5 to 4 hours...usually 4 hour stretch. She weights 10 lbs. is she getting enough? I feed her on demand. I try to feed her more, but she won't take it. She is taking formula (save your breath, breast-feeders....I already know th risks and benefits). Should I try to feed her more often during the day?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:00 AM on Nov. 22, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You should call and ask your doctor, you'll get the best answer that way. I know if a baby is breastfed, you just count their diapers (they should have 8-12 wet diapers a day) but I don't know if the numbers are the same for formula. She's probably fine as long as she's happy, babies self-regulate their food intake really well.
    degsyuna

Answer by degsyuna at 9:42 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• The general rule of thumb is that as long as baby is gaining weight and is well hydrated, she's eating enough.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 7:29 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• Wow, she weighs 10 lbs! I'd say she's fed pretty well lol. My son was eating about the same when he was a month old so I'd say shes getting enough. If she's not crying or anything then she's not hungry. Good luck!
    prettyNpink0769

Answer by prettyNpink0769 at 1:31 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• Is she pooping and peeing enough? She should have around 6 or 8 wet diapers a day and a couple of dirties. This is a good rule of thumb.
    Moomie

Answer by Moomie at 4:19 PM on Nov. 22, 2008