I went to post a question in Toddlers, and realized my baby will be considered a pre-schooler soon! :(

To parents with one child: Do you regret only having one? If you could, would you go back and have at least one more? If not, why? Do you think it was easier having one? What about how well they handled being an only child? Like, not having someone around to play with all the time.
I was jw, cause I was not an only child, but I was diagnosed with PCOS as a teen, it's recently gotten a lot worse, I've been getting tested, and on different meds to start my menstrual cycle, but nothing is startign it, and I was told this week there's a small chance we're going to conceive again. So we're thinking our only chance left is adoption. So, just want to get some opinions from you ladies first. Thanks in advance! :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:24 AM on Mar. 8, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• as of the moment i dont want another child. i feel as if i can only "handle" one. i dont want to end up like most parents and show favorites. i also want to make sure i can afford to have my childs needs met. so im taking it really slow. if i were to have another child it would be 5 plus years from now.
    shellychivell

Answer by shellychivell at 6:01 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I was an only child. It made me kind of awkward around people. I think having more kids is always a good idea, especially for the one by him/herself. Just don't wait till there is a 9 year gap, like my parents did. They adopted my lil bro from my older sis who was a total failure as a mom. But he was much better off with us. More than one kid is my vote. Good luck, and God bless.
    TwilightMack

Answer by TwilightMack at 9:06 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• There are good and bad things about having none, one or more kids. One kid means you might have a less stressful time raising him, and will have more money for what you think is important. But more kids means more love (and more frustration). While parents of multiples always love their kids, once you have more kids you also can't decide "I was happier with just one" and get back to that.

I think it's smart to wait until you genuinely feel that having more kids is just right for your family. You guys make the decision - don't be pressured or scared into it.

Regarding loneliness and socialization of an only, there is A LOT you can do to help with that. Find friends, get playdates, enroll him in group activities (sports, etc.) A kid with a busy social life is likely to really enjoy having some alone time with mom and dad and all his toys (no sharing or fighting required!!)
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 11:28 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• By the way, I think adoption is AWESOME!!!! Any family who will do that for a kid is pretty darn amazing.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 11:31 AM on Mar. 8, 2011