I have a major issue with my son.....

His Grandfather recently came into some money. His dad and I realize that he is taking advantage of him. I called him on this earlier tonight. His reply, "So?" I asked him what exactly that was supposed to mean and he wouldn't say anything. We have been trying to tell him ( his Grandfather), for quite a while now. I feel that he is like a con artist. My son seems to have him literally wrapped around his little finger. I know this isn't right. He recently bought a truck for my son who is 17 and still doesn't have a license. How in the world am I supposed to make him realize what he is doing? I think his Grandfather is too gullible (I think I spelled that right.)

amessageofhope

Asked by amessageofhope at 12:33 AM on Mar. 8, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• It sounds like Grandpa is being taken advantage of to me, mommy jules. If grandson suddenly has an interest in him, it's not for altruistic motives, otherwise he wouldn't have just said "so?" when mom confronted him. We need the original poster to give more details, but the tone of her question sure seems like that "interest" has more to do with dollar signs than anything else. Maybe mom should explain the situation to grandpa and trade the car in on something nice for himself-see how selflish likes that!
    purplerobin

Answer by purplerobin at 11:17 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• You're the parent. If Grandpa doesn't listen then do something on your end. New technology gadget? He just earned several weeks worth of chores around the house. New truck? Take the keys and don't give them back till he's spent at least a year - yeah, a year, it's a TRUCK for crying out loud - proving he's responsible enough to drive it (good grades in school, part time job, always in time by curfew if he has one, etc.)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:38 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Are you sure Grandpa is being taken advantage of? Grandpa maybe enjoying his grandson's new interest in him. That's just a thought though. I would definitely make sure he got his license and a job like hibbingmom said. Also I think he needs to make sure he gives Grandpa a great big thanks.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 12:42 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• A truck is a huge deal..... i'd make sure he got a job (and a license!) asap too pay for insurance, gas, upkeep or truck will be returned to grandpa or sold and the $$$$ given to grandpa.

hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 12:36 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• TAKE THE TRUCK AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!! If grandpa buys something then take it away. Your son is doing this because he is allowed to do it.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:38 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Well, you are the parent. If the son's behavior is selfish and rude then dont let him have the things. Put your foot down and make your son get a job and work on getting his license! Dont allow that behavior as long as he lives with you, no matter how old he is.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 1:03 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I think you need to talk to Grandpa. It may be that your son is conning or manipulation money out of him, but it may be that inheriting some money has given Grandpa the means to spoil his grandson, something he's always wanted to do but couldn't afford to. How old is he? Maybe he'd rather give money to your son now, while he can see him enjoying it, rather then when he's dead and he cant.
    Don't make this problem all your sons, make sure Grandpa knows how you feel too.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 2:59 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Ya the tennager knows the skill of taking out money out of his granpa's pocket. Please go ahead & talk to his grandpa. Gifts are okay but shouldn't be so valuable to spoil the kido...
    AnuMeha

Answer by AnuMeha at 7:12 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• If he's payin he's payin. I mean, money makes the world go round - for shizzle
    Miss_Sue79

Answer by Miss_Sue79 at 11:46 PM on Mar. 8, 2011