Twin boys, 2yo. Not talking much.

I have twin boys who are just over 2 years old and frankly they don't talk a whole lot....they make lots of vocal noises, but only a handful of words. Are they behind? I heard twins usually develop slower sometimes.....anyone have experience with this?
I just feel like they should be saying a whole lot more than they are. Help!

CABlonde

Asked by CABlonde at 12:33 AM on Mar. 8, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• did take off with their language between 2 and 2 1/2 (it wasn't immediate, I remember), building their vocabularies steadily and also having a few true "explosions" of adding lots of words. They then began combining words (and now speak in sentences of 8-9 words routinely) after focusing on expanding the vocabulary first (they had lots of synonyms for things, like "pail" and "bucket," or "ocean" and "sea" and "bay," or "boat" and "ship.") I think it is normal for expressive language to take awhile, sometimes, but if their receptive language seems fine for their age and if they are not lagging too far behind what is normal (including attempts at words/sounds you can identify, like my boys said "NaNa" for each other, but it was definitely MEANT to be that, not just a random sound, and including signs or gestures or signals....however they get you to understand), then you can afford to wait and watch. Supporting it can help!
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 2:15 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• If you have any concerns, you can call early intervention in your area and have them do a free developmental evaluation. It will take into account that they are twins, and it can't hurt. Either you find out there is no delay, or you get free/low cost speech therapy!

Answer by missanc at 8:58 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• One of my twins is autistic and doesn't have any words at all (language development assessed at being 8mths old) but my other outgoing twin knows lots of words and can use them in context BUT by no means does she use them regularly, or every time she could do with drawing that word from her brain. It's still very hit and miss. Plus she doesn't pronounce certain sounds properly. But she's just starting preschool so I'm hoping she'll fly once she gets going there.
    Twins ARE slower on the uptake, don't know why, but I'm not too worried about her, they will get there I'm sure xx
    Twinminator

Answer by Twinminator at 11:28 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I have a almost 2y/o And he is not talking either.
    BUTTERFLY463

Answer by BUTTERFLY463 at 5:11 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• My twins are 2.5 now (32 months) and are much more verbal than they were right at two. For a long time (before turning two) they had names for the people in our household....mama, dada, their sister, and a name they used interchangeably for each other. Then they finally added a few more words for things, but still mostly just "announced" things (didn't call to me as "mama," but would say that I was mama, you know?) They were signing, though, and they did use signs for communicating, which my doctor used to assess their progress. Also, their receptive language was advanced and they could comprehend and process more complicated instructions than typical for their age (multi-part instructions with three or more components.) I never worried that they couldn't understand me, so this weighed into our doctor's assessment, too. She didn't recommend an evaluation though said I certainly could request one if I was anxious. We
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 2:04 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• (continued) decided just to wait it out and see how things progressed, and I also made a point to spend more time reflecting them, speaking simply (emphasizing words, not just talking to them the way I had, but really emphasizing the speech process and isolating words/terms) and reading more than I had been. I really focused on them and noticed what they were noticing, and reflected verbally. I think if twin parents are stressed (and it's easy to be stressed) it is more likely they might miss some of these parts of supporting the process of language acquisition. So the twins end up with a little less "scaffolding" than maybe a singleton would receive, and they develop more slowly. Plus they have the extra "input" of another baby/toddler of their exact developmental level (not an older sibling or a baby sibling, but another pre-verbal or newly-verbal child) so that can possibly "dilute" the input. Bottom line, our twins
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 2:09 PM on Apr. 1, 2011