Can a child develop a milk allergy?

My 4 year old was up all night with vomitting/diahrea after having drank milk yesterday.

thats_karma

Asked by thats_karma at 7:42 AM on Nov. 22, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It could be an intolerance heres an article on the two, but the symptms are so similiar. If your child isnt feeling 100% today then give them some benedryl because the histamine in it will help them feel better ecspecially if it is an allergy. Also take them to the doctor monday morning and stop giving them the milk. The milk you bought might also have excessive protein in it. Walmart milk is notorious for this and should never be given to children because of the high hormone levels in the cows they use. Here is that article and I hope it helps.
    http://www.webmd.com/allergies/foods-allergy-intolerance

Answer by gemgem at 9:23 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• Is he ok now? Did it seem like a reaction or is it continuing today? Allergies can form at anytime in anyones life so you never know.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 7:48 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• He threw up several times around midnite...He slept until 530 or so when the diahrea started and that lasted a bit, I gave him immodium and now he is playing like nothing happened. He ate breakfast no problem. We did eat out last night too but none of the rest of us are sick just hime. This happened last weekend too....I really think its the milk!
    thats_karma

Answer by thats_karma at 7:55 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• Yes children can develop an allergy to milk. I would take him to his pediatrician and let them test him. Til then I would try using Lactaid with him so you can see if it helps.
    vchristineg

Answer by vchristineg at 8:31 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• Most definitely yes. It could be a reaction to the lactose (sugar) or the casein (protein) or both.

Also, I would never use Immodium on a child; way too dangerous.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:47 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• Milk isn't as great as it's cracked up to be.

www.notmilk.org

There are a ton of things linked to milk.

ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:30 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• I don't see why not, try Gabe on soy for a few days and see if that makes a difference. The vanilla one is the best :)
    nm.perkins

Answer by nm.perkins at 9:01 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• Justice Dr said a few of the signs of a milk allergy are wheezing like she had, a red rash or vomiting/diahrea.
    nm.perkins

Answer by nm.perkins at 9:03 PM on Nov. 23, 2008