How old were you when you got your 1st job?

I got pregnant in high school, and dropped out to stay home with my son. (Which yes, I regret everyday now) But I figured I'd go back to school when he started. And now that he's starting school soon, I have no clue where to start. Or even if anyone will hire me. I never even got my driver's license. My husband & I just bought a car for me, all I have to do is get an updated pair of glasses, and take my test. (I have my permit) But then I dont know whether I should pursue to get my GED, or find a small job somewhere, get some money saved up first, then get my GED, and move on to a community college or something. I'm currently 20, I'll be 21 in a few weeks. Maybe some of you more experienced mommas can shed some words of wisdom :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:38 AM on Mar. 8, 2011 in

• After I had my son I was 18. I also dropped out of school but I went back and got my GED. I then got a car and my liscense. Then I just applied to some places around town and eventually got hired aat a pet store. It wasn't great paying but it helped contribute. Then I went to school to get my CNA. Which sounds like difficult work and all but you make good money and around here there are tons of jobs. Start out step by step and things will come together :)
    kayaiden8907

Answer by kayaiden8907 at 12:41 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I got my first job at 18 but I think that's irrelevant to your situation and what you really need advice on.

If I were you I'd work on getting that GED first because it will be easier to get a job with one. Then I'd get a job and suggest going to a community college part time while you work.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:42 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• If you count babysitting I was 12. Real job in the real world I was 16. I worked til 2007 with a few gaps of unemplyment. I finshed school while pregnant and then went to a trade school once my son was 1 and half. I was I hadn't waited to go if I had started right after high school, I would have been done by the time my oldest was born and then I would have had a career not just a job.
    I know a SAHM, sometimes loving it sometimes wishing I was working.

I would say start with GED classes. Or if you have a babysitter or daycare you can do both part time work and part time GED classes. Be proud of yourself for going back. Best of luck.
    red_head_mommy2

Answer by red_head_mommy2 at 12:46 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I would do the GED first, like everyone else said. I think most community colleges offer GED classes. Here local churches and schools offer free classes to, so check your local churches and schools. I would also discuss career options,etc. with an academic advisor at local community college if that's where you are planning to attend. GL
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 1:30 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• 16
    myree85

Answer by myree85 at 2:48 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• i was 15
    Hellokitty06

Answer by Hellokitty06 at 9:47 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• 16, waitress
    tastymama

Answer by tastymama at 3:30 PM on Mar. 13, 2011