Laundry

Okay, I have never been to the laundry 101 class. I see all kinds of bleaches for color and wht's. My question is:
1. Does it matter if you buy the cheaper/ cheapest brand of laudry detergent?
2. Does it matter if it is liquid or powder?
3. Does a color safe detergent really keep your colors from fading?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:25 AM on Nov. 22, 2008 in Home & Garden

• I buy a cheap brand of detergent and it works just as well as the pricier brands.

I prefer liquid because it seems to mix better.

Color safe detergent won't keep colors from fading; colors will fade by the very nature of the clothes being washed, plain and simple.

Don't buy into the hype. By the cheapest brand with the least amount of chemicals and crap in it. All you need is something to clean your clothes; advertising will have you believe that the right detergent will change your life by having the sun shine only on you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:44 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• I agree with the PP...I use the cheap stuff and it works fine. I do prefer liquid, but if you use powder, make sure you let the water fill the washer and then add the powder before adding your clothes. (You're supposed to do this with liquid too, but I never do) otherwise you'll end up with clumps of powder on your clothes...not pretty.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 8:51 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• 1. Does it matter if you buy the cheaper/ cheapest brand of laudry detergent?

I buy the mid brand only because I have teen boys who sweat and they tend to have stinky clothes. When they were younger I used the cheaper brand since it got the clothes clean. Now I use Gain, Surf or Tide because it really works better atleast in getting the stink out of teen boys clothes LOL
    Nah I prefer liquid myself because I dont like how sometimes the powder doesnt disolve completely
    I dont think so but then again I just assume when you wear clothes and wash them they will fade anyway. Nothing can keep old clothes looking new. Thats just a commercial line to get you to buy the stuff. Much the same as politician who promise the world then never deliver LOL. Commercials to me are no diff.

Answer by gemgem at 9:10 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• I buy Purex Free and Clear which is the cheapest non-fragrant liquid at my Walmart. I don't use fragrant laundry detergent because my hubby is sensitive to the chemicals, they give him a headache. I used to use Sun Free powder, but when we moved, we started having trouble getting the detergent to wash away completely. We don't have that problem with the liquid. I liked powder better when it worked, because it was cheaper.
    degsyuna

Answer by degsyuna at 9:34 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• My boys play sports and sweat like mad but I have found that the cheap brands do just as good a job as the more expensive types.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:52 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• we use tide because anything else breaks me and DF out. i'm kind of picky with the scent along with my fabric softener, but i like my stuff to smell good. i've had all kinds of compliments from people who have said that i smell really good, and it ends up being my clothes that they're smelling.
    Tarable525

Answer by Tarable525 at 10:15 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• I think it's personal choice. When I lived alone I bought whatever was cheap (as long as it was the free and clear kind) and never had a problem. We get Kirkland brand from Costco now. I don't use bleach when I wash clothes (whites or colored...the regular bleach deteriorates clothes faster and I see no need for colored bleach). We also don't use fabric softner because it makes me itch or dryer sheets.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:12 PM on Nov. 22, 2008