How can I get my three year old to do what hes asked & stop sassing ?

all of a sudden my three yr old just stoped being a good boy. He refuses to listen to anything we ask of him. He is sassy yells throws things & is getting into everything. we have given him all the same attention hes always has gotten so hes not lacking there. we just dont understand please help....................

paddy71

Asked by paddy71 at 12:43 AM on Mar. 8, 2011 in General Parenting

• I'm not sure, hopefully it is a phase :( I would try time out or taking things away from him first.
    kayaiden8907

Answer by kayaiden8907 at 2:36 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Take him by the hand explain that what he's done or said is not acceptable and put him in a chair designated for time out. Time out should be a minute each year of his age, so set a timer for 3 minutes and put it where he can hear it "go off." If he gets up, start the timer again. Unfortunately, you'll probably have to do this a number of times until he gets the message to stay put. It'll be hard and exhausting, but it shoud work if you are persistent. Once his time out is over, you give him a hug, once again make sure he understands why he was in time out, and reassure him that he's loved. Most of the time parents fail at this when they give in to the child's crying and feel sorry for him/her. I see it with my own 3 yr.old granddaughter. Hang in there! It's a common occurence!
    rosiemendo

Answer by rosiemendo at 8:19 AM on Mar. 8, 2011