How can you tell the difference between leaking anmonic fluid and urine? adult content

Maybe tmi How can you tell the difference between leaking ammonic fluid or just urine? Would it show up in a urine test at the OBGYN? How do you know whats what?

babydoll845

Asked by babydoll845 at 1:05 AM on Mar. 8, 2011 in Pregnancy

• They can do a test to see if it's amniotic fluid or not babe.  And amniotic fluid will usually keep leaking.  Not trying to be gross but wash your first finger in soap and water and then stick it inside your vagina.  Try to feel your cervix.  Then cough when you think your at your cervix.  I'm ALWAYS worried about this and that's what my midwife suggested so that I didn't have to keep running to the ER, lol.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 1:09 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Well when you urinate it has a certain smell and is usually something you can control or at least try to. When you leak amniotic fluid it is odorless from what I understand and you can't hold it in no matter what. When they give you an ultrasound they will be able to tell if your amniotic fliud is too low.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 1:10 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• i had the same question when i was pregnant. my last 2 liked dancing on my bladder, but i assumed it was my water breaking. i went in for at least 3 false alarms each because i couldn't hold it in. They test the liquid on a strip & it will turn a certain color if it's amniotic fluid (or pee) &/or they take a swab & send it to a lab for results. they know the difference, but i could never tell. they always told me to smell it though. i just didn't want to. lol
    rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 1:21 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• WELL TO BE SAFE THAN SORRY U SHOULD GO TO THE HOSPITAL TO GET CHECK BECAUSE ITS RELLY HARD TO TELL BUT IF YOU CAN STOP IT USUALLY ITS URINE. BUT TO BE BETTE SAFE THAN SORRY THE HOSPITAL HAS SWABS THAT THEY SWAB YOU WITH DOWN THERE THAT TURN DARK BLUE OR GREEN WHEN ITS AMNIOTIC FLUID
    QueenAkire

Answer by QueenAkire at 1:33 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• When you go in for your baby check up at the OBGYN and they do a urine test do they check for that to?  because I went in today for a check up, I just have always leaked alot since the beginning but have had several ultrasounds and they all came back ok.

babydoll845

Comment by babydoll845 (original poster) at 1:42 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• When they check your urine, it's just for glucose and urine, signs of gestational diabetes and pre-eclampsia. It's not for amniotic fluid. If you think you're leaking fluid, they can check it with litmus paper. In general, if you're leaking, it will fill up a maxi pad pretty quickly, but you'll still be peeing as much as you normally would. Amniotic fluid can be odorless or slightly sweet.
    Do you mean you've been leaking amniotic fluid since the beginning, or leaking urine? Urine is normal, but fluid is not.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:52 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I think urine, my underwear seem to be wet most of the time sorry if TMI, I did have several ultrasounds in my first and second trimester because I was bleeding and I had a high risk pregnancy, I had a sub hematoma hemorrhage next to the baby's sac that broke. I went to the ER, but am unsure if its normal or not, I talked to my Obgyn about it. It still worries me though. Other then that they told me everything looked ok now.

babydoll845

Comment by babydoll845 (original poster) at 2:09 AM on Mar. 8, 2011