Is it safe to get your nails done??

I am 14 weeks pregnant almost 15 weeks and I been dying to get my nails done again!! But everyone is telling me if I do it I am stupid because its bad for the baby because of the nail polish and all the chemicals in a nail shop....But I don't sit over the nail lady and breathe in all that stuff...I researched it and haven't found really anything about it.So I decided to see what other moms and soon to be moms think.

PrincessTierra

Asked by PrincessTierra at 1:54 AM on Mar. 8, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• yeah i highly doubt sitting there for an hour will make your baby have issues. now working in a place like that while prego i might be concerned. but to be sure call your doctor. no questions are stupid questions when it comes to the safety of your child.
    shellychivell

Answer by shellychivell at 2:01 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• i would think so i just got mine a few days ago actually had a petcure 2nd one in my life it felt GREAT
    caliwoman

Answer by caliwoman at 2:02 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I got my hair dyed when I was pregnant
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 2:23 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• the checmicals are not as harsh as they used to be when it comes to beauty products. Ask your doctor wabout it and see what he has to say.
    raynebowstarz

Answer by raynebowstarz at 5:53 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I think it's just a myth as far as hurting your baby. I had my nails done while I was pregnant and my hair and there's nothing wrong with my kids...

Enjoy doing something nice for yourself
    JenniferLynn3

Answer by JenniferLynn3 at 7:03 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• when i was pregnant with my son i stayed getting my nails and hair done like every 2 wks , my son is perfectly normal. With my daughter i did it again and shes fine too. Now im pregnant again , and i have dyed my hair at least 3 times....You just cant stop living because ur pregnant , dont believe the negative things u hear about hurting ur baby if u get ur nails done, ur not sitting there 24 hrs inhaling that stuff, if that were the case pregnant women would stay home the whole 9 months and only come out after the baby is born!
    PrettyBaby24

Answer by PrettyBaby24 at 7:09 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I got my nails and toes done while I was pregnant with my son. You can wear a mask if the smell borthers you or ask them to put a fan on. My mil would always say to my husband I think your wife should have your nails taken off because she may scratch that baby I laugh and told her they are plastic and he will be fine. My son is 3 he is total fine. Enjoy yourself and have sometime to yourself before the baby gets here.

LoriAnn87

Answer by LoriAnn87 at 9:58 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Yes. Lots of people who are even pregnant work at salons. They are just fine. If you are worried, wear a mask.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:21 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• can it be harmful? honestly yes. but less so after the first trimester. i would also see about going to a place that doesn't do acrylics because those fumes can make you pretty light headed.

and no massage for a pedi because it can cause miscarriage.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 3:33 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• its more the acrylics that are harmful chemically, so if you choose to still get them done, make sure they properly ventilate and any risks will be at a minimal.

no, they are not myths that people say. for instance, hair coloring.. most contain ammonia which can be harmful to babies (it's why your dr's stress about not changing cat liter etc).. but the amount used is usually at a minimum level, so so long as you keep it off the scalp and do it in a properly vented area you should be fine, but again its best to wait until after the first trimester.

pedi massages can be harmful because there are a lot of pressure points in the foot that if triggered can cause micarriage.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 3:39 PM on Mar. 8, 2011