Bread Machine, is it worth buying?

Are bread machines worth the money? I've never made any bread before but I want to so I'm considering my options. Is making bread in a bread machine really that much easier than making it in the oven? If so, why?
How many extra steps do you have to take if you make it yourself and with just baking it in the oven?

Thank you knowledgeable mamas!

MommyBird388

Asked by MommyBird388 at 1:57 AM on Mar. 8, 2011 in Health

• if you dont bake bread all the time, like a passion, then i wouldnt it could probably be a waste of money. but if you can find a cheap one try it out if its something you think you will honestly love to do.
    shellychivell

Answer by shellychivell at 1:59 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I used to own a bread machine, and actually i find it a lot easier making it on my own especially since i got my kitchen aid mixer. I make more bread now that I did when i had the bread machine, and it come out a lot better too in my opinion. I'm sure there are bread makers out there that work wonderfully. I had the zojirushi brand and the breads always came out with incredibly hard crusts and dry insides. I use my kitchen aid now, I just mix the dough in it, leave it on to knead for 5 minutes or so, then let it rise. Its really easy. I would suggest investing int he Kitchen Aid instead of the bread machine.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:00 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Depends on how much like to eat it. Otherwise local stores sell it at a reasonable price.............
    AnuMeha

Answer by AnuMeha at 2:48 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Bread is super expensive here, upwards of 5.00 a loaf for the kind of bread I like. So lately I have been just making bread. For about 1.00 I can make an entire batch of bread, so it's quite a significant savings.

I would and will buy a bread maker, but I WILL make sure and read online reviews about them first. Lots are on the market, but lots are also really crappy. I've already been looking but I haven't settled on one yet.

GL
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 2:53 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I bought a bread machine from a consignment shop near my house, so it was a good deal for us. I like to make homemade bread in it, and my family LOVES it. So it was definitely worth it for us.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 8:34 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I never liked our bread machine - it was a gift that my grandmother insisted we have. For us it is much easier to just bake a loaf or 2. We use the the dough hook on our mixed instead of the heavy physical kneading.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 9:58 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I LOVE my bread machine and use it almost daily. I'm not good at kneading and sometimes forget rising times, but to simply put a few ingredients in the machine and turn it on takes out all those other steps and missteps for me. Not only do I make white bread, egg bread, rye bread but I make pizza dough, english muffins, sweet breads, hamburger and hot dog rolls and so many other things with it. And this way I know what we are putting in our mouths rather than a list of ingredients I can't pronounce
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 11:25 AM on Mar. 8, 2011