Foster Care question

I have a question about foster care...we've adopted through foster care, so I am familiar with it. I've seen a few answers on here about how if the Bparents rights aren't terminated, then the child is moved to another foster home. Why is that? Why isn't the child just left in the home of the original foster parents even if the TPR isn't signed? It doesn't make sense to me to move a foster child to another home just because the parents' rights aren't going to be terminated. Is that just another huge flaw in the foster care system?

LizClara

Asked by LizClara at 9:48 AM on Nov. 22, 2008 in Adoption

• I don't know the answer to this question either. I was in 5 different foster families before I was adopted at age 6. (I was taken from my parents at age 5 along with my infant brother.) I do know that the first home I was in was more of a temporary foster home...for the kids where they didn't know where to put them after emergency removal.

boizmom

Answer by boizmom at 10:05 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• I guess I'm not sure what exactly you're asking? As a foster parent, we've never had a child removed from our home to go to another foster home if the birthparents rights aren't terminated. We've had them go to relatives if some surfaced, but never another foster home.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:14 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• I would think they move the child so he/she does not continue to get attached to the FP's That way if BP's do end up getting child back - the child won't be attached to other parents.

Not that it ever really works out that way. But I bet that is part of their reasoning.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:20 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• There are some homes that do extended care and some who will only take temporary care. If I child is being moved, then it is usually because the foster family only chose temporary care.
    Mary_CoreysMom

Answer by Mary_CoreysMom at 10:45 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• That is strange n my opinion. Normally they don't move children from one foster home to another. They don't like to disrupt the placement unless absolutely necessary. We've had foster children before that have gone to other family after we've had them. Usually those were emergent type situations where they needed a home ASAP and then found a relative after a few days.
    mommytoadam

Answer by mommytoadam at 12:08 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• I grew up in foster care was put in when I was 5 years old and left when I aged out (18) Some foster parents only have a licence for a certain amount of time. Some have short term some have long term and some have the licence to keep the child. There are so many foster children and not enough homes that sometimes they have to rotate the children around maybe find them another forster home or group home. Them they're are temporary foster placements when the bparents lose their parental right they are put into a more sufficient and permanent foster home. There are alot of things with the foster care system but they're not all bad.
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 12:35 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• Michigan definitely doesn't do this...they actually have initiated a really aggressive program to limit the amount of different residences a child is placed into because all these losses for the child makes it extremely difficult for them to form healthy attachments. I can't see any reason at all to do this unless the home was a pre-adoptive home and they knew that it wasn't going to result in adoption? I still don't agree with it even then though.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 4:55 PM on Nov. 23, 2008