Do you think a kitchen is a girl toy only?

My husband and I are thinking about getting our son a kitchen set for Christmas cause that is what he asked "Santa" for. My in-laws think that it is girl toy and we shouldn't get it for him. It is a kitchen done in green and tan, not pink or girly. Just wanted some input, thanks ladies!
Here is the link to see the ones we are looking at getting.
http://walmart.scene7.com/walmart/flash_zoom.jsp?company=WalMart&sku=5903083&config=WalMart/zoom_config&default=0073353877129&title=Step2%20LifeStyle%20Custom%20Kitchen&categoryid=4171

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/detail.gsp?image=http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/02/52/17/11/0002521711900_500X500.jpg&product_id=5913442&iIndex=1&isVariant=false&corpCard=false&type=0

momma2JD

Asked by momma2JD at 9:51 AM on Nov. 22, 2008 in General Parenting

• have you ever watched Food Network and paid attention to how many of the hosts are male? there's as many (if not more) male chef's in the world as female. a kitchen set is a reflection of a well paying career and maybe that's what he's wanting to be when he grows up. i'd ask the in laws if they would be ashamed of having a grandson who's a major chef to the stars.

kids should have the choice to play with whatever toys they want to play with, not what society (or inlaws) think they should play withe because of their sex.
    Tarable525

Answer by Tarable525 at 9:58 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• My son loves to play with my niece's kitchen. The only reason why we haven't gotten him one of his own is because we just don't have room for it in our apartment. I don't see anything wrong with a boy playing with a kitchen. It's a great way to help expand their imaginations. Why don't your in-laws think it's a good idea? And why do they think that it's a "girl's only" toy? That's bull. Get it for him if you think it's a good idea. It's not going to turn him gay or anything!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• my boy love to play with their kitchen. would your in-laws say a little girl can't play t-ball? if grandma was baking cookies, would she allow your son to "help?" this is just silly. but if you really care what they think, look into the grill toy instead. wal-mart has them, too.
    bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 10:02 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• no it's creative play and not gender specific, it's great for imagination no matter if boy or girl.
    workenmom

Answer by workenmom at 10:03 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• No. If we had more room I'd get a kitchen set for my boys. Cooking isn't something that's gender specific.
    Myantek

Answer by Myantek at 10:08 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• My dd has a kitchen and shes had it since her second christmas. She is almost 4 now. My grandson just turned 2 and he plays with it more then she does. I dont think its only a girl toy. Everyone needs to know how to cook.

Answer by gemgem at 10:20 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• ITA withTarable. I think it's funny that a lot of people think the kitchen is a womens place, when the majority of CHEFS ARE MALE! LOL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:24 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• We are thinking about getting the same one for our son.
    BubblesB

Answer by BubblesB at 10:27 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• no we got a toy kitchen for our son a couple of years ago for christmas. if men can cook little boys can play with kitchen toys.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• The majority of chefs in the world are male :D It's very much a male-dominated profession...not many people know that.

I think it's a great gift idea! You can put on Food Network while he plays with it so he can see guys cooking just like him, haha xD
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:44 AM on Nov. 22, 2008