Should we toss everything in this fridge

We have two refrigerators. One upstairs, where we keep our everyday things like milk, eggs, cheese, etc, and one downstairs where we keep our raw meats and some of our produce (onions and green peppers mostly), as well as "extra" items. Last night, my husband went down to get the chicken from the fridge, and he noticed it was kind of warm. It seemed our son had been fooling around with the settings and he turned the fridge off and the freezer down to the lowest setting.

We've already thrown the meat out. My question is, should we toss the produce and everything else in the fridge as well? What about the freezer? It wasn't turned off, but it was all the way down, so most of the stuff was unfrozen (my husband thinks it was still cold, but he's not sure). Would our best choice be to toss it all and replace it or would some of it be alright to keep?

Here's a list of what's still in the fridge/freezer:

Fridge:
Mushrooms
Carrots
Squash
Celery
Half and Half (going to be tossed)
Whipping Cream (going to be tossed)
Grapefruit Juice
Orange Juice

Freezer:
Precooked hamburgers
Hot dogs
Some sort of meat wrapped in foil
Cooked noodles
Popsicles
Hamburger meat

makelineerror

Asked by makelineerror at 7:50 AM on Mar. 8, 2011 in Food & Drink

• you said you had popcicles were they melted. the mushrooms celery squash aand carrots should be fine the cooked noodles should be fine
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 8:00 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• As long as the juices were not open they should be good. Veggies should be good too. The things in the freezer are a total loss! I hope u punish your child. Time out or early bedtime for a week. That is alot of money wasted!!! I would be very upset!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 8:14 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I would toss it all.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:06 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• The veggies should be fine, and probably the juice, but I would toss everything else. Sorry that happened! My son has done that before too, and it made me so upset! I didn't lose anything, but the thought that I could have really bugged me.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 8:26 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I would throw out everything from the freezer, it's a total loss there. Your veggies should be okay but I would probably toss the juice. With veggies you can visibly tell if they are fresh enough, juice you can't.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:28 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I would toss everything from the freezer definitely smell the juices and if they smell bad then dump those and throw the rest of the items from the refrigerator away also; rather to be safe then sorry and have your family get sick

Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 9:49 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• get rid of meat in wrapped foil
    monteza3

Answer by monteza3 at 10:03 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Thanks for the answers, everyone. I think I'm going to go ahead and toss it all. It sucks to be throwing away about $50 worth of food (or more) and then having to replace it, but I prefer that to a hospital bill if one of us gets sick from bad food. We discovered that it had been turned off yesterday (Monday), and since we were out of town all day Sunday, it had to have been shut off Saturday or earlier. Two days is a bit more risk than I want to take.
    makelineerror

Comment by makelineerror (original poster) at 11:48 AM on Mar. 8, 2011