What happened to personal responsibility?

There's a woman on the news right now being interviewed about dangerous mixing of multiple pills for weight loss. She did it without a prescription, didn't tell her doctor, and didn't read the directions or safety info with the drugs. Instead of focusing on this moron NOT talking to her doctor and combining epilepsy meds with online-purchased diet pills to lose weight, they're talking about the doctors and drug companies, and treating her like an unfortunate victim.

Just because someone is capable of using the internet, should the be absolved of responsibility for things like this just because they're too stupid to think about the consequences?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 8:27 AM on Mar. 8, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• In my opinion, no one is to blame but the idiot who took the pills herself. I agree - a victim she is not.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:29 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Its a product of a dumbed down society......don't blow dry your hair in the bath tub...this coffee is HOT and may cause burns....

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 8:34 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• eye rollingThat's my opinion also. There is a reason they have warning labels, people. She is just a victim of her own stupidity.

mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 8:34 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Although there are many instances of doctors prescribing medications without looking at how they will interact with other medications, sometimes patients see more than one doctor by choice and don't tell the whole story. The safety check of the pharmacist can also be bypassed by going to different locations (although in Canada a move is being made to a database to track patients better - even going to different locations would get tracked so dangerous combinations and over medication can be caught). In both of those cases, however, the patient has a huge responsibility. In this specific case, the woman was self-medicating and bypassed every safety measure causing herself harm. She's not a victim at all.

Complain to the news station about their reporting. Tell them that they missed the point completely.
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 8:35 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I wouldn't call her a victim. I think she willingly bought these pills and took them. No one held a gun to her head. Whatever the outcome for her, it is her responsibility and she can blame no one but herself. I do, however, see a lawsuit against the manufacturer of these drugs. Which, should be thrown out because it was her intent to use them.
    foreverb3

Answer by foreverb3 at 8:36 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I just don't do stupid very well. There have always been stupid people but they seem to be coming out of the woodwork these days.
    Unfortunately many liberals think they can cure it with regulation and rules.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:42 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Personal responsibility? Sheesh you and I both know that went out the window long ago. This woman is just one of many examples out there of people blaming someone else for their idiotic choices.

Answer by gemgem at 8:44 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• "You can't fix stupid." -Ron White.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 8:44 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

My tolerance level for stupid is not very high, either. Just look at all the stupid warnings companies put on things. And they are there because someone was stupid enough to try them and usually the company was taken to court for it.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:59 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• IMO, personal responsibility becomes a thing of the past immediately when someone thinks they can sue for a large sum of money. They don't care how stupid they look in the mean time, they see themselves laughing all the way to the bank just a skip down the road. Sadly, because it costs so much to sue someone, many companies that get blamed for things like this will settle out of court and she will still get her payday, instead of the neon blinking idiot sign that she deserves. We have programed people into thinking that you can get rich fast and easy and to a degree, it's not that far off base. I wonder how many 'slip and falls' are actual accidents and how many are planned strategically for the best camera shots.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:01 AM on Mar. 8, 2011