My 2yr old spits drinks down her front or over toys/sofa! Help!

She is not a big drinker like her twin sister and I never make her drink, simply make sure she has access to her sippy cup. She doesn't have an issue with the taste as she WILL drink it too, but for some reason she started doing as the title says. I thought it was a phase and tried not to make too much of an issue about it but it's getting worse. There'll be puddles on her toys, over puzzles, soaked patches on the sofa, plus she's often soaked and making her sit in her wet clothes as punishment doesn't work either... it's driving me mad!

Any ideas what I can do??

Twinminator

Asked by Twinminator at 8:51 AM on Mar. 8, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• all of my kids did this when they were around 18mo or 2yo. i told them we swallow, we don't spit. go to time out,and then i made them clean up the mess. i did the same thing each and every time. they will stop if you keep at it.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:33 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• it is a stage my 2yo is into spitting right now. she likes to take a drink and spit it back into the cup or lets it dribble out of her mouth. what i do is when i see her starting to do this i take the drink away. and i refuse to change their clothes more than once a day unless we are going out. if i did we would have tons of laundry. so if she gets her shirt all wet shes stuck with it.
    but like i said i take the drink away and tell her no we dont spit and if she keeps it up then she goes into time out.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 8:56 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• sounds like she made it into a game. she has found a way to push your buttons. she may be behind in verbal skills but she knows how to play a game.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 9:16 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• My 2-year-old likes to spit his drinks sometimes too. I really think it's just a stage...something he is finding interesting and fun. I always give him a firm "NO" and take his cup to the refrigerator for a while.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 9:57 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• my son would do that to sometimes also 2 and it drives me crazy cause i think it's so gross... so i take his drink and tell him he can't have till he can drink like a big boy and that what he did was gross and not funny and if he does it again then a pat on the but and he'll stop...
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 10:08 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• My daughter did the same thing, its a way of testing their limits and independance. With my daughter we made it so she could only drink in the kitchen
    kjade226

Answer by kjade226 at 11:17 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Sadly, you may have to limit her drinking to only in certain areas of the house or get her to wear a bib while drinking. Is her communication good enough for her to tell you why she does it?
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 8:53 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• My kids only drink at the kitchen table, or at least in the kitchen. Just limit where she can drink.

Answer by missanc at 8:56 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• No, she is a bit behind with verbal language, so I really don't have a clue. I've looked her in the eye when she's held a mouthful of juice in her mouth and she knows I do NOT want her to do it but she does it anyway, and thinks it's very funny :o((
    Twinminator

Comment by Twinminator (original poster) at 8:57 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Once praise lightly her twin sis for not spitting by lightly clapping your hands. This would make her to win her dear mama's heart...
    AnuMeha

Answer by AnuMeha at 9:16 AM on Mar. 8, 2011