Should i take him?

i signed my 3 1/2 yr old son for a gymnastics class.... i took him in the beg. if sept but he just wasnt ready i.e. he wanted to sit with me .. didnt listen to the instructors blah blah... i have some credit left at the school and signed him up for a trial class to see what happens.... all morning hes been telling me he doesnt want to go and that he wants to stay home... should i make him go just to try it or should i let him stay home and just forget the whole thing ...

zperez0809

Asked by zperez0809 at 8:51 AM on Mar. 8, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It sounds like this is a no go. :( That said, my daughter cried and clung through 2 1/2 classes of soccer before she got down and became the star pupil. Some kids just go through an adjustment phase. It's so hard to know and when you're paying for something, you really want to get value for money. A sitting, upset, non-participating child isn't value for money. :(
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 8:55 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Personally I would take him and just sit with him to watch IF he is agreeable to that. If he is crying, etc I would forget it. Lots of time they just need mom with them so they can observe and learn what these things are all about. Have you tried your local library's story hour too? That's a good way to get children accustomed to groups activities too. GL!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:59 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Let him saty home He's just not ready. And that's o.k. He will be when it's right for him. He'll want to be gone sooner than you think as it is. Enjoy him wanting to be with you now.
    TwilightMack

Answer by TwilightMack at 9:02 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• My kids were in daycare since they were 6 months old and never had the separation anxiety that stay at home kids have. One of these days he's going to have to separate from you. You might as well start now, but slowly. Reward him for going. If he had a great time build on that and reward him again. Get a small pix of yourself and give it to him to keep in his pocket. Tell him if he ever needs mommy your always there in his pocket.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 10:46 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• hes fine with the separation thing.. he goes to nursery school 3 days a week and spends a lot of time with my mom and grandmother without me.. so i know its not that... i think when he sees me through the glass thats the problem...
    zperez0809

Comment by zperez0809 (original poster) at 10:49 AM on Mar. 8, 2011