Hoarding

How long do you keep things for?
What do you keep?
If youve not worn it in a while how long will it stay in your closet?

My house seems ti be full of things I dont need or have the space to keep, I just dont have the heart to chuck, old birthday/ christmas. easter mothers day card, suvioners from long ago holidays, music cds, videos, dvd, ect .... lol ...

Reia631

Asked by Reia631 at 9:05 AM on Mar. 8, 2011 in Home & Garden

• i go through things once a month or every two months what i dont want or need i get rid of
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 9:07 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• i used to be that way but then everything got too cluttered so i started getting rid of stuff,,, and things i didnt have the heart to throw out i donated hoping that someone else would get use out of them
    zperez0809

Answer by zperez0809 at 9:08 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• my rule of thumb is if it hasnt been used in the last year or more out it goes.
    once i week i go through the clutter of papers that seem to get stacked up on the counter or in the phone cubby and through out papers i dont need.
    cards unless they are 1st and 2nd birthday they get tossed. and magizines if they are more than 3 to 6 months old out they go.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 9:10 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I'm a minimalist, but my husband, his mother, and his grandmother are all hoarders, and it's awful. It makes me crazy living in clutter, and I've always been one to pitch more than I keep.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 9:10 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I guess when I was younger I had the problem of keeping things. I especially had trouble with clothing that was still new (even if I didn't like it) or older toys (I loved collecting the toys from the 80's). At one point I lived in KY when I had my son, at about 6 weeks he had emergency surgery. Living in KY my husband and I didn't make much money, so we agreed to sell our house and move back to NYC. I decided to sell my toys from the 80s. That was hard for me because I took pride in my collection, but we needed money. Then we didn't want to spend so much money moving everything. So I downsized everything. I learned on "what not to wear" if you don't wear clothing within about 6 months, then you toss it. So that is what I did. And now, I keep almost nothing. I can't stand the clutter anymore. For me it took a traumatic situation to get myself to let go of things.
    Tam_and_Fam

Answer by Tam_and_Fam at 9:11 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I have had some clothes for years - well over a decade. If they are still fitting and not worn out it's wasteful to get rid of them.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:11 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Oh brother, do you have a lot of company! When I was single, I was organized. Since being married at 40, having a daughter at 42, starting menopause, losing paarents live has been a series of weeding out organizing, for eleven years and still going. I subscribe to the Flylady methods of getting it together ( a website with free coaching just for this purpose). Although I am not "Flying" on my own yet, I plan to be before this year is out. So become a "flybaby" it is one baby step at a time. FLY means "Finally Loving Yourself". Pick a drawer, corner or some small pile and just do that today. Good luck.
    SoBehindImAhead

Answer by SoBehindImAhead at 9:12 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I like to throw things out, i figure if i don't use it its gone. but certain things that have sentimental value to me i save. like old greeting card from Granparents that are gone now, and i have an old watch that was my Grandmas, that means the world to me but old clothes i get rid of, i need to get busy and get that stuff done too.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 9:16 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I keep things as long as I need them.

Only photos, and very sentimental stuff, but even if it is sentimental and I can't use it or it takes up too much space I try to find a new home for it-some where that it can be used.

If I have not worn it in 1 year out the door it goes, my closet is not full at all.

Memorys stay in your heart, I found that out by clean house. I keep things like jewelry stuff that does not take up much space and that I can use. It took me years to get rid of stuff, I usually freecycle it and it does not hurt as much. If I am not using it then someone out there can. Sometimes it is hard but having clutter makes your life chaotic and more difficult. If you ask me it brings on more stress. Good luck... I am sure some of the things you have could BENIFIT someone else.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 9:20 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I have very limited space in my house. When I see things begin to pile--I go thru the pile and toss or give it away. There are a few things I'm sentimental about and those are kept in one plastic tub. I do make an exception for clothes we have been given for the boys as they get older; boots, shoes, winter jackets, clothing, they are also stored in tubs for the future. Its an ongoing never ending process.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 10:08 AM on Mar. 8, 2011