Why do people assume that thin people don't need to exercise?

A friend of mine, who is a 19 year old girl posted on her FB page that she is turning her bedrooom into a workout room. Her older sister, who constantly struggles with losing weight ( she's one of those people who jumps from one fad diet to another, never exercises, and complains about not losing weight), responded with something like, " You don't need to workout". Why do people think that just because someone isn't overweight, they don't need to exercise? I lost 50 pounds 6 years ago and I exercise to keep it off and because it is good stress relief. I have gotten comments from people about how I don't "need" to exercise. Exercise is good for everyone!! Just because you might be pencil thin, doesn't mean you're in good shape. I go to Curves and there are some very thin ladies there, but just because they're thin, doesn't mean that they don't need to exercise. Maybe they're trying to build up their bone mass, or keep their joints from stiffening up or maybe they go there so they don't strangle their husbands and children because they have a stressful job.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:24 AM on Mar. 8, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• Due to wrong conceptions...
    AnuMeha

Answer by AnuMeha at 9:25 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Everyone should excersize regardless of weight...it keeps your body healthy and helps relieve stress.

I agree OP, it's strange that people associate excersize only with weight loss.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 9:28 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Agreed, exercise is good for everyone. I maybe skinny, but I also would like to have a healthy heart rate, blood pressure, toned legs and butt, etc. To be healthy and thin, you have to work at it. I hate when people comment on my weight period.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 9:36 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• AnuMeha, exactly! Everyone needs exercise, not necessarily for weight loss but just to stay healthy and fit.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 9:47 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• IMO, it's just as rude to tell someone they don't need to exercise because they are already skinny, as it would be to tell an overweight person they SHOULD exercise.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:19 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• IMO they don't understand the importance of exercise!
    Onmyown2727

Answer by Onmyown2727 at 12:32 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Because a lot of people don't realize that just because your thin doesn't mean your cardiovascular system is healthy and that your in shape. I have seen overweight people with more stamina and endurance than someone who is average or below average weight. My entire adult life (except during pregnancy) I have weighed between 120-130 at 5'8" but I have certainly had times in my life where I would get terribly out of breath from going up the stairs because I was out of shape.

Exercise is about more than loosing weight. Its about keeping you body performing well. I'd rather keep the weight from ever coming than weight till it does too start working.
    kayslay

Answer by kayslay at 12:36 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• wait* .... need more coffee ;p
    kayslay

Answer by kayslay at 12:38 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Everyone needs exercise. This is where people like to judge others with out thinking.

HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 1:47 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Seriously, you can't see the correlation between her issues/struggles with weight and what she said? I'm not saying it was "right" of her, or "justified"....but the woman who said it struggles with weight issues. She's jumping from fad diet to fad diet....has anyone actually worked WITH her to lose weight? Is she on her own? How must SHE feel, living with her sister who doesn't even have to TRY to be thin? I can see the "why's" of the phrase being said, I don't agree with it, but I can understand where the thought process came from that caused her to say the phrase. It's an emotionally charged "knee-jerk" reaction.

Just my .02.
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 3:04 PM on Mar. 10, 2011