I. have. guilt.

Our Golden was hit by a car 7 weeks ago and had to have pins put in his leg due to two broken bones. This morning he went in to have the pins removed and he looks great. BUT while I was dropping him off I discussed having him fixed. We live in an area where there are tons of dogs, but few responsible pet owners. So, there are constantly female dogs in heat all around us. I am sure this is driving him crazy as he rings the bell to be let out every 10 minutes. Spring fever if you will. I paid sooo much money for this dog, and people even at the vets office told me if I did'nt breed him I was crazy. His dad was a champion show dog. He is beautiful...but I told her to go ahead and fix him anyway hoping this would be the best thing for him in the long run. But I feel so mean having done it. So, my question, esp to owners of pure bred dogs...do you fix your pets? Did I do the right thing? He was a year old on Feb 13th and had already gotten away from us once and hit by a car...I couldn't live with myself if it happened again because he smelled a dog in heat and he runs.

salexander

Asked by salexander at 9:29 AM on Mar. 8, 2011 in Pets

• I think you did the right thing. Better off alive and fixed, then a dead champion breeder.
    TwilightMack

Answer by TwilightMack at 9:31 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Now when things are done don't feel bad...
    AnuMeha

Answer by AnuMeha at 9:32 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• We have a boston terrier who we won't be getting fixed. At least not yet. She's only 7 months old and we'd like to have at least one litter of puppies but we're going to wait a year or two to make sure she doesn't develop any health problems.

I think, based on what you've posted you did the right thing. If he's already gotten away and you know there is a problem with dogs in heat in your area then you've made the best decision for your community. DH and i were just discussing what percautions we will take when she goes into heat so that she doesn't get out. We live on a main road and she so tiny she'd be squashed for sure and we'd be heartbroken.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 9:34 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• we didnt with our lab because we wanted to breed her but after two litters i dont want to put her through any more breedings. we didnt start to breed her until after she was two because of bone growth and wanted her to be really healthy can fully grown and then after two litters a year apart i know the limit is 7 years but she is 5 now and dont feel like it would be in her best interest to breed again so she will be getting fixed soon. as for our golden we just got him not too long ago and he will be fixed. i got him as a pet he doesnt have papers and i dont belive he would be a good canidate for breeding so he will be fixed in a month or two. that way i can get them both fixed at the same time.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 9:43 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• If I had any animal that I wasn't planning on breeding and it wasn't already, I'd definitely have them fixed. It's just better for everybody in the end. That way there's no spraying or marking, and no accidents if they get loose for some reason.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 9:49 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I bought a fantastic show potential and spayed her when I decided not to show her and prove her in the ring. I have always spayed and neutered all of my dogs, even the beauties : )

It really doesn't matter how beautiful he is, if you aren't going to handle him in the show ring and prove that he is the best example of the standard, and you aren't going to get the certified tests for hips, etc... you shouldn't breed. There is more to breeding your dog than beauty and pedigree.

Intact, non-neutered dogs ARE runners who often get hit by cars. Fact. They can pick up a pinhead of a scent from miles and miles...the hormones drive them to find that female. He would have run again, and maybe would not have lived the next time.

You did the right thing. He will be a better pet, safer and healthier. He will never suffer from testosterone cancer and very less likely to get prostrate cancer now.

spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 10:05 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I have a perfect St. Bernard. People have offered to pay us to use him as stud. He's fixed. We have all of our purebred dogs fixed alone with our mutts. It's just better for them. They're happier without all those hormones!
    furbabymum

Answer by furbabymum at 10:45 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• You did the right thing. Unless you know what you are doing, your dog is a perfect specimen of it's breed, you have a ton of money on hand should something go wrong, and you have homes for the puppies way before you even THINK about breeding, and your dog passes all health checks you shouldn't be breeding.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 6:12 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Sounds like a dog that needed to be fixed - no real money in breeding anyway.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:27 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I would feel Guilty if i Did Not have my dog Fixed! You did the right thing- i promise:)

daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 8:30 PM on Mar. 8, 2011