Do you like to make your server "work" for their tip?

for example: you don't ask for everything you need all at once..you wait for them to come back with one thing and then ask for a refill, then when they come with your refill..you say "oh, i think i need some steak sauce"..then "how about some napkins"..are you that type of customer?

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 9:30 AM on Mar. 8, 2011 in Just for Fun

• No and the people that do that are the same ones who look for a reason not to tip.
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 9:31 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I don't make them "work" for their tip, but I do tip according to service.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:33 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Na I'm pretty clear while ordering something..
    AnuMeha

Answer by AnuMeha at 9:33 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• nope!!! Please remember everything I ask for the first time!!! If you are a great waiter I don't have a problem with tipping them up to 50%!
    But, if you suck at your job it may only be 5%
    tripletmom28

Answer by tripletmom28 at 9:34 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Do you think people intentionally do this, or are they just flighty?
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 9:35 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Nope. They already are working, there's no reason to be a jerk.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 9:35 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• no i dont do that and i even try to clean up the mess like stack the dishes and put the silverware and napkins on top of them to make their job easier. but i do tip accordingly to service i get.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 9:35 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• No. I have on occasion forgotten to ask for some extra napkins or one of the kids might need more to drink 5 min after the server has left the table.

I don't need a lot. I do expect to have my cup/glass refilled without it sitting empty long enough for me to ask another server for a refill. I am like twinsplus2more...I tip according to service and I always leave something.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 9:36 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• No, I served for a few years and then managed a restaurant. I go out of my way to make the server's job easier - right down to clearing/stacking my dishes on the table before I leave and then leave a tip based on service but generally at LEAST 15% and a lot more for good service. I realize that on weekends which is generally when I eat out, those servers are running and it may take a few minutes for them to get back to me!

Answer by missanc at 9:36 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• sometimes it happens that way...sometimes, like sunday @ lunch, we had to catch our waiter on the fly. we were sat at a dirty table (medium-priced restaurant, not sure who to blame that on--bus, waiter, host, manager?) with dirty chairs (obviously, there were children sitting there before us..maybe). at stages in the meal, we found that neither the salt or pepper dispensers would work, we told him three times to bring ketchup for our 5yo's mini-burgers, and told him twice that the diet coke was watery. there were two appetizers ordered, and he never brought any appetizer plates..we had to use our napkins. we asked for extra napkins during the meal..a table of six, he brought three extra napkins.
    he was either too busy to serve us, or didn't care. if it was the former, he never said ''i'm sorry, i'm swamped.'' or anything. we tipped, but not a full 15%, more like 9%.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:36 AM on Mar. 8, 2011