Is this weird?

So we signed my 4-year-old up for ballet - just a short, 6 week intro. class to see if she likes it. It's at a local recplex, but the thing is that they go in this room and you can't see what they're doing. They also lock the door during class. My sister thinks I should complain and insist that parents have access since the class is just for 3's and 4's. In the future, I'll take her somewhere that allows you to watch (I'm mainly just curious about what she's learning, I don't really think she's in harms way), but have your kids ever been involved in an activity where parents didn't have access? Should I say something or just ride it out (we're 2 weeks in)? Thanks!

gratefulmom913

Asked by gratefulmom913 at 10:09 AM on Mar. 8, 2011 in General Parenting

• I would not be comfortable with that at all.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 10:10 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I'd prefer to be able to watch at all times, but that's just me and I think there can be crazies lurking everywhere.  If you're okay with it for now, like you said, then I guess I wouldn't say anything at this point.

CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 10:12 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I would at least ask why that is done.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 10:12 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• well my nephew is in dance class and they are also where the parents wait out in the hall. idk if they lock the door though. i would want to watch, insist that i can and if i can't i wouldn't have her in it, but that's just my opinion. talk to the teacher about it.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:12 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• my bff used to teach dance at a local school and the reason they close the door is so the kids pay attention to the teacher and NOT the parents. Plus the parents have a habit of interrupting the class and try to tell their kid what they are doing wrong when that is the teachers job. and the door is probably locked so the parents cant open the door and interrupt
    newlife627

Answer by newlife627 at 10:13 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Yes, they do it because the parents are distracting to the students AND because they also want to surprise parents on the big dance recital night.

have you ever tried to teach something to a bunch of 3-4 Y/O girls? It not easy & the teacher needs as little distractions as possible. My dd went to a family owned dance school here & they explain that to the parents while you enroll your kids. We all knew we couldn't go in there. they did have a few times where they invited all the parents in to watch during class though, but only like 2 times.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:13 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• well, some of you may drop your kids off at daycare....what's the difference when leaving them with a dance instructor? You're in the other room waiting aren't you? If you don't trust the dance instructor to be teaching your kids, then you shouldn't have them in dance class.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:14 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• also if there was anything fishy going on the place would not be in business. i would say just get over it and tell your sister to stay out of it
    newlife627

Answer by newlife627 at 10:14 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• The parents SHOULD be allowed in the room I find it a bit weird that the kids are locked away in a room, and the parents are not able to view them or be in the room. I would def. speak up and tell the people at the recplex that you are not comfortable with their setup and ask for them to make allowances or change the policy.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:16 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• chicka if you drop your kids off at daycare or school the door is not locked and you can check on them anytime you like.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:19 AM on Mar. 8, 2011