Do you have a parott or cocketiel bird /

whats the worst thing about having a pet bird ?

letstalk747

Asked by letstalk747 at 10:25 AM on Mar. 8, 2011 in Pets

• I don't have either but I have a parakeet. They are messy.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 10:26 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• i have a cockatiel (i've had her for 8 years and i used to also have a male, but he died last year). the worst thing is that they are messy, but i have found now that the male is gone it was him making most of the mess lol. parrots are loud and can be very destructive if they don't get enough attention (min. 2hrs. a day)
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:27 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• That they are not free to fly, some are always in a cage. They are also super loud.

I think owning birds is selfish. I don't think they should be pets, they are meant to fly freely. People think they are pretty & want to cage them up for their own self satisfaction. Birds should be flying in the sky IMO.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:28 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I have a sun conure named Farrah. As far as maintenence and cleanliness she's great. She has a beautiful disposition because she's hand fed. She is social, and even my 3yo so plays with her. She's hardly ever in her cage! lol The only downside is it's hard to find a good avian vet out here. And sometimes it's hard to tell when somethings wrong with birds until it's gone a little too far.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:28 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Oh yeah, Farrah isn't loud unless someone comes into our house, or the kids are yelling and jumping around.

samurai, why do you always post this whenever someone posts a bird question? It's not like you are going to change anyone's mind. And obviously you need to get a little more educated. Pet birds live longer than birds in the wild due to proper maintnence and always having food. And if they aren't born in the wild, how do they know any different. My Farrah is very attached to me, and quite particular.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:31 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• chica......my bird could not live in the wild, guaranteed.

princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:38 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I used to have 2 cockatiels. I have nothing bad to say about them. Well, unless you count pooping in bad places when they were let out of the cages! My female was a stinker, but I didn't have her for a long time - she wasn't terribly friendly. My male was an absolute honey, and he was starting to talk. I want to get one or two when we move to a bigger house.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:40 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Nope I have a house bunny non caged and a part time mini dog we watch my spouse mom's dog 4-5 days a week
    kalynskorner

Answer by kalynskorner at 10:49 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• We have 3 parakeets and they are great! They can get pretty loud at times though. lol They are so funny to watch. They are pretty clean, but sometimes their feathers (the little downy feathers, not bigger flight feathers) get everywhere. Nothing a quick run of the vacuum can't solve.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 2:59 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I don't have one but I think it would be incredibly messy. It would be neat to have one in an outdoor aviary.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:26 PM on Mar. 8, 2011