(WOHM) If you have the day off, do you keep your kids home too?

Not school age kids, but younger kids that you normally send to daycare.

My son is actually in Head Start, so I will still normally take him to school when I'm off for vacation. Holidays, he's usually out of school that day anyway (most holidays that I'm off). But if I'm sick, I keep him home. I mean if I felt well enough to take him to school, I'd be going to work because my job isn't that far from his school.

But when he was just in daycare, I almost always kept him home. The only exception was if I had a lot of errands to run or doctor appointments.

thatgirl70

Asked by thatgirl70 at 10:26 AM on Mar. 8, 2011 in General Parenting

• As a former daycare employee I cannot tell you how much that used to piss us off. I mean as a working mom I would give my eye teeth for a day at home with my kids...so to have the day off...or my personal favorite be on vacation and still take my kids to daycare UGH just gross!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:36 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I am the same way, if I don't have to go too work my babies didn't have to go to day care.

Unless I had a doctors appointment or something like that, but I would still pick them up early......

Just wanted us time.... but sometimes you need me time so if your a single mom then you might need to send them once in a while so you can regroup we all need that.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 10:28 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I work opposite my DH, so my kids are never with anyone but family. Even when I work, my kids are home.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:32 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• no, if they inn school they need to go to school.
    Moviestarr

Answer by Moviestarr at 10:30 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• My DD NEVER went to daycare when I worked and had a day off. her day off was my day off. Daycare is NOT school though. School is a requirement, and I wouldn't pull her from that if I had a day off. I am home this year anyway. :) :)

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 11:35 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Ha, what's a day off?

As a former daycare employee I can tell you that yes, we used to snicker when the mom was in jeans and obviously home for the day and still dropping the kid(s) off, but then again, she paid for them to be there. It's not like you get a refund for days when you child does not attend. And sometimes you need a day off BY YOURSELF for whatever reason.

1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 2:31 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I work shift work, so I don't get to see my 2yr old much as it is. So on my days off, he stays with me and we hang out and play. Last week we went to the animal shelter to look at the dogs/cats and we had a blast! If I have to call of work cuz I'm sick I usually have hubby drop him off at the sitter, because if I'm sick enough to call off work, then there's no way I can take care of him. Thankfully, I haven't had to worry about that, the only times i've had to take off work is if he is the one that is sick... and i stay home and take care of him.
    1st_time_mom23

Answer by 1st_time_mom23 at 2:46 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I wondered, because a friend of mine ALWAYS sends her son to daycare no matter what (unless the daycare is closed for snow or something).
    thatgirl70

Comment by thatgirl70 (original poster) at 10:31 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Yeah I feel the same way. I cherish every moment with my boy, since I don't get to see him much during the day.
    thatgirl70

Comment by thatgirl70 (original poster) at 12:32 PM on Mar. 8, 2011