What would be a natural cleaner for dishwashing?

What would be a natural cleaner to use instead of buying dish washing cleaner can you use to clean the dishes?

kalynskorner

Asked by kalynskorner at 11:04 AM on Mar. 8, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I was wondering this same thing yesterday. Great question. Sorry I can't be of more help, but I am curious to see the responses.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 11:07 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Truthfully, none I have tried wash dishes as well as a commercial cleaner.

If you;re using a machine, using less detergent and adding borax to the wash cup works really well.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 11:06 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Well there are recipes for making dishwasher detergent with baking soda or washing soda and borax but I find that you get a white film on the dishes. Some buy 1-2 packets of sugar free lemonade mix and add that to help but I still had the film....mainly from hard water. So, others recommend adding vinegar into the jetdry area, but I still get the film. So, I use that as the pre-wash aid and I use Palmolive Eco in the main detergent area. While the palmolive isn't 100% natural it's at least something and doesn't leave the film the natural dishwashing stuff leaves.

My liquid dish soap for washing by hand is liquid castile with a few drops of lemon juice!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 11:09 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Clorox has expanded their greenworks line to include a dishwashing soap. I believe they say it's 99% natural ingredients.
    kayslay

Answer by kayslay at 12:26 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• oops sorry didn't notice you wanted something to make instead of buy. My mom bought me this cute set of 3 books one is called salt one baking soda and the other vinegar and each book breaks down like hundreds of uses for those 3 things in your home. And they definitely include ways to make home cleaners. gl
    kayslay

Answer by kayslay at 12:28 PM on Mar. 8, 2011