Do you use a lawn service for any reason?

Mowing and trimming? Fertilizing? Weed control? Anything?

We bought a home and the previous owners were VERY hard on EVERYTHING, including the lawn. We've been here 3 years and have not had marked success with rehabing the lawn. I think we're going to hire TruGreen to do their organic turf maintenance services. Is it worth it? Has anyone had success rehabing a lawn on their own or with professional help?

misses_nick

Asked by misses_nick at 11:08 AM on Mar. 8, 2011 in Home & Garden

• We have used a lawn service for fertilization and weed control for many years. We had no luck getting the weeds under control until we hired a professional. Plus, that's not the kind of yardwork my DH likes to do , so it saves him the hassle.

We use a smaller, locally owned business. I don't care for those huge national franchises where you're just a number, the turnover is high, and the customer service reps mostly don't seem to care. I had even contacted TruGreen to consult with us about a maintenance plan, and they never showed up. Didn't call either. If you've got reputable small, local companies in your area, I encourage you to give them a chance first!
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 12:17 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Yes up until around the last election I had a gardener. He mowed the lawn, pulled weeds, put in flowers, trimmed the bushes and all of that. By Nov or so we dont really "need" a gardener per say since it starts to get cold, but I always kept him on anyway to do Fall flowers and such. Now were going into spring and I am thinking of hiring someone again. I personally do think its worth it if you can get the right person. I would look at people with their own business locally though. They usually charge less, do more, care more, and it goes to someone who can use the money.

Answer by gemgem at 11:11 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Yes I do use a lawn service. Here is AZ alot of us have rocks in our front yard. I do not want to sit out there and pick out weeds and cut all bushes i am too lazy and would rather give someone else 30.00 to do it. I have other things to worry about. I cant let the weeds stress me out.
    kalynskorner

Answer by kalynskorner at 11:43 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• All of the above. It's included in the rent payment. Truthfully I don't even remember the name of the company but they do a fantastic job.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 11:08 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I haven't used trugreen. We do have a lawn service. It just looks so much better when it's done right. They also have it done in 20 minutes. Took me 2 hours.
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 11:10 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• i have a lawn guy to mow the lawn, but i'm truthfully thinking about getting a reel mower to do it myself. i don't use fertilizer.....have you tried aeration? and idk what kind of 'organic turf maintenance' they offer.....i would be careful. greenwashing is very common now that being eco-conscious is trendy.

princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:10 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I honestly don't bother. It's hard to trust any company and what's in the products. I'm so glad no one on our street uses any service either, I don't need the chemicals getting airborn and getting on our lawn and garden.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 11:19 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Yes, we have all of the above.

We use Trugreen. Before Trugreen we were doing the fertilizing ourselves, but not really worrying about pests in the lawn. We lost our entire lawn in less than a week to chinch bugs. So when we paid to have new sod laid, we also signed up for lawn spray.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 11:41 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• TruGreen will help with the lawn issue.
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 11:46 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• @princess...I already asked for and looked over their Material Safety Data Sheets. It's all good. Nothing even almost questionable. I have to be very careful because I have 2 children who have chemical sensitivities, 1 has life-threatening chemical allergies.
    misses_nick

Comment by misses_nick (original poster) at 11:14 AM on Mar. 8, 2011