Do you have a ComposTumbler?

If you purchased the sifter screen, was the $40 worth it?

misses_nick

Asked by misses_nick at 11:11 AM on Mar. 8, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I didn't worry about the expense of a tumbler, we just have a pile in the yard that we put wire around to keep critters away. But our first compost bin was just an old garbage can with a lid that we driller holes in. I would only get the sifter screen if you planning to keep adding new materials to the older almost composted items. I start a new pile each year so the new stuff doesn't interfere with me using the completed compost.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 11:16 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Nope i dont have the money
    kalynskorner

Answer by kalynskorner at 11:41 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• We have a 3-stage system. We have 2 open piles, which are contained with compost fencing. 1 is for brown materials. The other is for green materials. We take from each of those piles to add to the tumbler to get fully ready compost every 5-9 weeks, and we just add to the open piles every day or whatever. I built a sifter screen for about $3.00, but it isn't as convenient as the one looks that actually latches to the bin. I just haven't been able to convince myself that it's completely worth that $40.
    misses_nick

Comment by misses_nick (original poster) at 11:48 AM on Mar. 8, 2011