Tips on making a gluten-free diet more bearable...

...please.

Twinminator

Asked by Twinminator at 11:21 AM on Mar. 8, 2011 in Health

• There's lots of things you can make with rice, and there's plenty of corn cereal options.

My DH has been gluten-free for about half a year now due to digestive issues. It takes some work, but well worth it to him.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 11:32 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• what do you find intolerable about it? There are so many gluten free options in Natural sections of grocery stores and online that there isn't much difference these days!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 11:22 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Yeah, if you've got money to burn that is mom2jack! In England you're talking four times the price for a like-for-like product.

My point is, I know i can get these things but it's not realistic day to day, I can't pop to my corner store for a loaf of bread like I can for normal bread, I have to go to a big store out of town.... just for one loaf of bread, it drives me crazy
    Twinminator

Comment by Twinminator (original poster) at 11:31 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• But my point is it CAN be realistic. People eat 4 times an actual serving anyway. If you buy a specific gluten free product you can stretch that one item for 4 meals.....or rice as suggested by anng.atlanta. Personally I prefer buying organic and people say "I would but can't afford it"! I only spend $60 a week on groceries and I buy 90% organic. 1 pound of ground beef can be stretched to two meals, making it affordable for the splurge on the organic meat.

There are ways to make it work, you have to be creative! You want gluten free bread and can't find it at the corner store....well buy a bread machine, even a used one, and MAKE the bread. It's cheaper to buy the ingredients and make it yourself anyway!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 11:39 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I do have a bread machine, I do make it, but it's so disgusting, and hit and miss whether it comes out right.
    I'm going to have a new baby veeery soon, with two year old twins, and I just wish there were easier ways to eat immediately i.e. grab a piece of toast or a bagel or some other non-junk filler, rather than have to cook something up every time I realise I haven't eaten all day!

I am particularly good with budgeting, hence why I don't want to pay out for expensive gluten free alternatives to what other people can buy for next to nothing
    Twinminator

Comment by Twinminator (original poster) at 11:47 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• well corn based tortillas make a quick grab and go "sandwich"
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 12:02 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I have searched for these extensively, and in the UK they all contain half corn, half wheat flour. Maybe I should move to the US huh.
    Twinminator

Comment by Twinminator (original poster) at 3:19 AM on Mar. 13, 2011