My 10 month old has diarrhea.

And he has thrown up once. How can I make sure he doesn't get dehydrated?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on Nov. 22, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Agreeing with the pp, give him water and pedialyte to keep him from getting dehydrated, if his lips start getting dried out thats an easy way to see if he is dehydrated, but with it being cold now it may not be helpful. Another way to check is to hold his hand flat and gently pull up on the skin over his knuckles, if it goeas right back he is fine, if it is really slow, like the elasticity is not there, he could be getting dehydrated. Check out WEBMD.com they have lots of answers!! Hope your little one feels better soon.
    Mommy_of_two_85

Answer by Mommy_of_two_85 at 1:23 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• i have four kids so i am a good person to answer for you get the baby some pedialyte and make sure they drink plenty of it.dont worry about making him eat as long as you can keep them drinking my four just got over a really bad stomack virus of direah and throwing up and trust me you dont want them to put him in the hospital.if he /her? keeps throwing up then cut their pedialyte down to 1 ounze every 45 minutes even if he throws it up his body is still absorbing some.have any other question let me know happy to help.
    momof4150

Answer by momof4150 at 11:40 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• I agree with the pedialyte. It will help keep the electrolites in his body. Cut out any apple juice you may be giving him and even ease up on water.
    kscmbz

Answer by kscmbz at 11:54 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• I would just get him to sip water in small amounts often..and make sure he just rests if he is sick.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 11:56 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• Thanks for the help moms. How can I tell if he is getting dehydrated?
    jacy3031

Answer by jacy3031 at 12:02 PM on Nov. 22, 2008