Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Am I tripping about my situation?

I'm a single mom to one child. I do not live near family or friends so little support. I do not work right now just go to school. I can not activley apply for jobs because I don't have a babysitter all the time. I don't have the extra income to send my kid to daycare cause I don't work and just paying the main bills is hard enough.

I've applied to stae help and that is a bunch of bs, drama, and lies. I'm stressing because I'm in this situation and trying to get out of it. I just can't see a way out if I can't even get someone to watch my kid so i can go out and look. I don't want to say he is holding me back (cause not a good thing to say or feel) but the major lack of support is killing me.

IDK what to do. Don't feel like giving up but not seeing a "light at the end of this tunnel".

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Mar. 8, 2011 in General Parenting

Answers (8)
  • move back to where your family is and where you would have support.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

  • if you do not work, have to pay for school, and do not get social aid
    how do you live?

    what happened at social services that made you say bs and lies
    i think that your situation is the situation that they are there for?
    are they not to help a person go to school, to better life, and they help with money until you can get better job, also should be helping with child care expenxe while you attend school

    Answer by fiatpax at 12:00 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

  • If there's no support where you are, you may have to go where there IS support.

    Answer by gdiamante at 12:02 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

  • I wish I could go where there was support. My family is not supportive. Mother is homeless with 3 kids. DHS is dramam because I have been through so much with them. Yes I am lonely and bored. I feel that what I need is so massive and no one will be able to help me.

    Last time I thought a friend was going to help and she hated on me so hard. Im not asking for money just emotional support and maybe soeone that can eatch my kid once in a while. I need a break from mommy hood.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:14 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

  • Why do you think PA is telling lies and BS? If you need that help then take it. Swallow your pride and do what is needed to support your child. Find some friends and switch off sitting so you can take breaks.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:34 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

  • If you never have had to deal with the welfare system where I am you can not say anything to me about what they take you through. I have tried to make frineds and not to much come from it so I still feel like the only one going through something. I rally need some time to myself. Last time I trid to take a break my son ran into the room and injured himself. So i felt guilty and still emotionally deprived.

    I'm use to dating and being hot but now that I am a mom I have to give all that up. It's all really depressing. Same time I love my son and I am not selfsih. Just not having enough money to pay the bills is real stressful. If I lived in subsidies housing and had a car things probally wouldnt be dso bad but I pay regular rent, no car, no help, nothing. Just me.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:45 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

  • I know a lot of colleges offer childcare through the school itself and it's usually free if you're a student. Just something for you to look into if you didn't already.

    As for DHS, you have to bug the crap out of them to get assistance sometimes. If a caseworker doesn't help you, talk to a supervisor, if they don't return calls or get anything done, go above them. I had to do that when I was trying to get medicaid for my first pregnancy. It's not fun but you'll get somewhere.

    Look for some playgroups or mommy groups in your area. That's a good way to get some friendships started and you can do the 'I'll babysit for you, you babysit for me' kind of thing. Good luck!

    Answer by Nanixh at 1:22 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

  • crazy thing is I have tried all of those things you mentioned and still came up with nothing. There are no parenting classes, momy groups, or playgrous in the city I am. I have to go prtty far out for one. The college I go to does not have a childcare center. Only if I transfer to the university will I get free childcare and I am looking into it (for the fall). DHS is a pain and I wont see them until late june/july not really worried about it cause if I transfer I can cut of the cash assistance and use other oney. the cash part is what annoyes me. It' helps in a sense...also you have 3 years to get it once u use it up it is gone forever so I want to get off and save a year in case I need it.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:17 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.