to those of u who get an allowance,how much do u get?

I know some sahm's get an allowance from their dh, I'm not talking groceries just money that u have access to. And I'm not refering to those of u who have full access to his bank acc. How much would u expect him to give u monthly for Your personal use?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:00 PM on Nov. 22, 2008 in Money & Work

• We are on a budget and working on paying off outstanding debt. I am the person in the household that controls our finances. In our budget we have personal money. Right now it is $20/month for me and $30 for him. That is for me to do what I want to do with it. It's not for groceries, we have money set aside for that, its not even for clothes, we have money set aside for that, but I suppose it could be for clothes if we had already spent the budgeted amount. So basically it would be for getting an icee at the gas station on occassion or if a friend wanted to go out and have lunch, etc.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 12:19 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• We are budgeting too...trying to pay off those damn credit cards! But, I have a credit card (in my name) with a thousand dollar limit, with which I use to buy groceries, gas and whatever's left is mine. We've agreed not to buy any clothes or material goods till March or whenever we pay off our credit cards, so I use the extra money for recreation during the week. My daughter and I usually go to lunch once a week and I take her to an outing once a week like the museum or zoo. I also get a pedicure once a month :)> Every week, we put a payment towards the card, so that it is paid off by the end of the month and we start all over again. IT works pretty well, and I don't have to "ask" for money, which, I admit, can be a little degrading sometimes.
    hgibsonorc

Answer by hgibsonorc at 12:27 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• I use to be a SAHM and it was OUR money. When you marry your income becomes one. Now if a spouse has an addiction like; alcholism, drugs, gambling, compuslive shopping etc.. then I can see limiting it. Otherwise your a grown women you sit down with your spouse and make a budget and you both get a set amount that first your budget can allow and that both agree on.
    Anonymous

• We don't have his and hers... It's OUR money! We are equil in this marriage and no matter who has the bigger check we share the money equilly too.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:09 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• Im a Sahm and my husband gives me around £600 a month to spend on me and taking the kids out in the days but i only usually use £200 completely thats on clothes, make-up and so on but i use the rest to take the children out for meals or a day at the zoo when my husband isn't home.

Stacey.x
    happytohelp

Answer by happytohelp at 2:16 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• "full access to his bank acc" what the hell does that mean? "allowance" are you kidding me? He wants me to stay home, I have full access to EVERYTHING. Everything is in my name as well as his. If your husband keeps you on an allowance, he's hiding something or has a real control problem.
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 4:56 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• I agree it is degrading to be put on an allowance unless your financial situation requires BOTH of you to watch your spending. My SO and I agree to each have about $30 a week for meals out during the day or recreation things. It is enough for a lunch out once a week with my girlfriends and coffee a few mornings on my way to work and it doesn't cut into our ability to save the way we should.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 6:17 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• We both get 150 per month for blow money. We both get an allowance. The account is in both of our names.
    Alma_C

Answer by Alma_C at 7:29 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• we dont really have a budget like a set amount that i get (were not rich he just isnt rude and gives me money as i need it) but sometimes it does suck going through him to get money in case i forget to tell him i need it and he leaves then im stuck at home broke. but for the most part i get what i ask for. i know it sounds bad but i like him having the atm card cause i have a tendency to get bored and blow money so its best if he holds it and gives it to me when i need it!
    Anonymous