Does your DH ask you permission to do things?

My SO will ask permission to do anything and I don't get it because I'm not the controlling type at all. I never give him a hard time about having a few drinks with his friends or any of that, but I think his ex-wife might have had him on a short leash. Does yours do this? How do I get him to stop? LOL. I don't want him to feel like he needs to clear everything with me. I tell him he doesn't have to ask, but he still does.

sbastille

Asked by sbastille at 12:02 PM on Nov. 22, 2008 in Relationships

• Its a hard habit to break in my previous marriage my dh had to know every tiny detail and my parents were the same it became a habit. My now dh doesn't mind or even remember what I do we have SO much trust its awesome but I still feel like I have to answer to him even tho he's not controlling AT ALL and we live FAR from my parents. I guess its just in me now
    Anonymous

• Maybe he's just being considerate. Mine will disppear for hours and I have no idea where he is.
    AuntieM

Answer by AuntieM at 12:04 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• My DH will ask me but not about every. He tries to give me a heads up with plans and mostly I just want him to ask when its last minute. With 5 kids things change minute by minute LOL. But it could be his ex was controlling. My hubby have been together since high school. He ask mainly because he was brought up to be that way. His parents were controlling.
    momofangels5

Answer by momofangels5 at 12:07 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• Sometimes he will ask just to make sure i'm ok with it or either he will tell me what he wants to do. I think it's respectful and sweet anyway even if your not controlling. It's just nice to know that he cares enough. I do the same with him too out of respect for him. Plus if we go somewhere and something ends up happening to one of us like a car wreck or something then we have a better chance of knowing where they are and how long it takes them to get home.
    TiffanyLove18

Answer by TiffanyLove18 at 12:13 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• He's just being considerate of your feelings. Just accept it.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 12:17 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• maybe he just wants someone to care

Answer by admckenzie at 12:17 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• mine asks and i always ask him its the same on both ends we just both feel it is a consideration thing to the one you love
    iloveyall2008

Answer by iloveyall2008 at 12:18 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• No, mine doesn't. You sound a lot like me about not complaining or questioning his free time. He has never given me a reason for concern and I feel like if I made him "run everything by" me, it would be too controlling. I wouldn't like someone doing that to me. I had an ex that would ask my permission all the time. I think he liked having a "ball and chain" to be honest. He never did stop either.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 12:27 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• My DH doesn't ask permission but he does consider schedules and we make sure we still have enough family time. I think it is consideration not control.
    TurksMommy

Answer by TurksMommy at 12:45 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• yes he does, every single thing. i don't mind cause i'd be pissed off if he didn't.
    chyna_doll

Answer by chyna_doll at 1:19 PM on Nov. 22, 2008