Have you completed a religious fast?

If you have how long?

pammomof9

Asked by pammomof9 at 12:42 PM on Mar. 8, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yes. I once did a 21 day Daniel fast where I fasted and prayed for my husband's salvation. 6 months later, he AND my son were saved and they were baptized on the same day. I have done several more minor fasts, but I haven't done it in awhile. For those that might be interested in fasting but can't for some reason, like medical, you can fast a thing--like tv or the Internet.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 12:45 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• We fast for 24 hours once a month. We then donate the money we would have spent on the meals to our church's welfare program.
    TikiWiki33

Answer by TikiWiki33 at 1:06 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Yes, I went 7 days without anything solid...
    I did however drink water & juice once a day in order to stay healthy enough to work 60 hours that week.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:09 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• We are doing 40 days of fire at my church. (Apostolic Pentecostal)

We are doing a Daniel fast, giving up something- ect. but in other parts of the fast,
    going 24-30 hrs without food, another part is to go a week with only water.

I'd say for me I need gods strength to do the week with only water, LOL.
    Anonymous

• Our church does the Daniel fast every January. It's not that bad, since it's fruits and vegetables, and at the end, we have a huge dinner to celebrate coming off the fast. It's a great way to draw closer to God.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 12:46 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• We did monthly fast...at least 12 hrs if not a bit more depending on the person.

Did them every month from the time I was about 8 til I was in my 30's.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 1:19 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• no, i've never tried.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 1:30 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• We chose one thing to fast for a month, everytime we wanted that thing we would be reminded to pray. My thing was chocolate (I'm kinda an addict lol)
    sissy15

Answer by sissy15 at 3:05 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Every Lent we follow the traditions of our church and abstain from meat, dairy and oil. We also abstain from sex, alcohol and sweets. We also fast for 40 before Christmas (St Phillips Fast) and one week in June (Apostles), two weeks in August (Dormition),
    We see fasting or abstaining from things as an exercise. By learning/practicing how to say "no" to things we will be better prepared when temptation arises..because we have learned to control our desires and passions. We also offer up any suffering to alleviate the suffering of others around the world, those that go without food and love. Fasting prepares us for special feast of the church and helps us to enter into a deeper union with God. *As a side note, it is always done with the permission and direction of a spiritual director. The old, very young, pregnant or nursing and the ill are not advised to fast from foods.
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 7:01 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Yes, for Yom Kippur.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 8:47 PM on Mar. 8, 2011