Do you do your own taxes or pay to get them done?

When I was with my ex, we went to H&R Block to get them done. We got them done together, as we were a couple, so it was affordable. I have never made enough to get anything back, really, so whatever return I did get would just go towards paying to get them done and that was it. So I'm not doing that this year, now that it's just me.
My best friend has offered to do mine this year, because he does his own anyway. I don't know the first thing about taxes - I was with my ex from the time I was 18, so I really didn't need to know. Now I'm trying to get together all the info I need so my best friend can do them and I'm having a horrible time.

So what do you ladies do? Go somewhere to get them done, or do you do them yourselves?

*I'm not asking for any advice or anything - I'm in Canada and I know it's different here.

AdensMama0308

Asked by AdensMama0308 at 12:43 PM on Mar. 8, 2011 in Money & Work

• I've been doing my taxes @ h&r forever but this coming year I'm gonna get them done free and save that $400 they charge me for their 5 minutes of tax prep.
    KoolMom617

Answer by KoolMom617 at 2:14 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• do my own
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 12:44 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• H&R Block
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 12:46 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Do my own
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 12:48 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Do it yourself. I used Turbotax when I was single and I had never done them before - it was very easy!

Answer by missanc at 12:53 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• We pay to have them done - we have a business that DH & FIL co-own, and now I'm also self-employed, so it is much easier, and sooooo worth it to pay someone else - then we know there are no mistakes, we don't have to worry about whether we did it right or not, and the people we have doing them do everything to benefit us the best.
    Anonymous

• i do my own on taxact and they don't charge you anything it's free its a good website i been doing it for over 6 yrs and my family and coworkers and friends use it i done told everybody!!!
    mztxdelta

Answer by mztxdelta at 1:37 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I pay So that way if something is messed up its not on me
    mommato2boys79

Answer by mommato2boys79 at 1:40 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Ours are very complex because we also have a home business and all kinds of things we itemize so we have them professionally done. I do the kids taxes and my moms cuz neither itemizes and it's simple enough to do online.
    Anonymous

• my dad does ours :)
    moe7e

Answer by moe7e at 1:49 PM on Mar. 8, 2011