Is it better to get an actual college degree or a certificate from one of those colleges you see on tv?

Just curious if going to school for 2-4 years has any benefits over getting 9 month degree from one of those "colleges" advertised during the Maury show.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:46 PM on Mar. 8, 2011 in

• Many of them have spotty accreditations. So even when you have the degree it's not worth the paper it's written on.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 12:47 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Honestly, from my experience nothing is beneficial anymore and a lot of times college is nothing but a waste of money that you get a piece of paper for at the end. There are people with masters degrees flipping burgers right now. If you have an idea what you want to do then there are plenty of resources online to hone your skills and give you practice at them. There are plenty of tutorial websites for virtually any software you could possibly need to be familiar with and they provide you with a certificate acknowledging that you have learned it. VLC.com is a great example.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 12:50 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• A 4 year university is better. The unemployment rate for college graduates is far less than that of non graduates. Many employers will not hire people that "graduated" from the for credit colleges that you see advertised on tv. State universities have lots of online classes now and most are willing to work with you to get the classes you need.

Answer by missanc at 12:52 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I honestly think you should look into what is best for you and your family. Just as there are people who have had bad experiances with certificate programs, people also have poor experiances with colleges every day. It is all about doing your research and knowing what you want.
    For example, a training program or certificate program will be great if it can quickly quilify you to go right into the job you want and even give you hands on experiance. However, if you want to go to a University and become a Doctor later it would be better to go to a regular college. Look at what is closer, what is more in your budget, child-care options, and which schools are accredited.
    Good Luck
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 12:56 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• My hubby teaches at one of those colleges part time and those degrees aren't worth the paper they're printed on.
    Anonymous

• I am currently going through online college courses. I put a lot of thought into it, I want the experience, but I'm a mother of 4 school aged children, the closest culinary college is over an hour one way. I already run my own business, so, with that said, I picked Cooking and Catering, because I already have experience in it, and with a home business it will help me out, and I have already learned sooo much...although it's hard to learn how to cook like that (I already know how to thank god lol) it teaches you stuff that you wouldn't learn by other means than going to school. I will have a degree in catering when I'm done...I've learned that Jobs could care less what type of paper you hold, as long as you have experience to back it up. Good Luck and do what is right for you and your family.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 1:23 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• While I suspect this is not a serious question (why would anyone attend a school that advertising during Jerry Springer?)...

Stay away from for-profit schools. They exist, by law, to make money for their owners/shareholders; education is not their priority. When I was in HR, I did not interview candidates from the for-profit schools.

Start with a community college; they will likely have many classes on line and the credits will easily transfer to a state university.

Have a couple of informational interviews with people in your chosen field to help you determine whether or not this is the right career choice for you. Check to see if there are open jobs in this field, too.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:55 PM on Mar. 8, 2011