How can I get my 17 months old to stop climbing out of the crib?

He start climbing out of the crib about a month a go.He felt on his head cause of that,and now I even have DFCS on me.I keep telling him no,but he seems not to care.I tough putting him on a toddler bed but he gets out at night.What can I do?????????

Asked by babyboricua019 at 11:25 AM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• put the side of his crib down and put a "special chair" beside it so he can climb out in the morning but only in the morning to come see you and play. explain that the "special chair" is tired and wants to sleep too so he must wait until the sun comes up to use the "special chair" it worked with all three of my kids and with all eight grandkids. it might work for you, let me know, maybe mine are just special! good luck!

Answer by yathere at 11:29 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• There are tents you can get that go over the crib to keep them in at night. and have them.
    I would agree he is a bit small for a toddler bed and you can never be sure what types of things he could get into at night while you are sleeping.

Answer by mchristi at 11:31 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• If he's 17 months old, you can probably convert the crib to a toddler bed or a transitional bed, if you have the kind that converts. That way at least if he climbs out, he doesn't run the risk of falling on his head. If you don't have the kind that converts, I'd go for a twin bed with a bed-rail. Other than that, try the PP's suggestion!

Answer by GothyMama at 11:32 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• My middle son did the same thing, once they learn to climb out of their crib, that's it. You can't keep them in, no matter what you try. You can punish them or say no all of the time, but in the long run they become afraid of their bed and that can become worse. I made a big deal out of his new bed and how he was a big boy. Even when he only slept in his bed for an hour I told him how proud I was of him. Also, let him help you to make his bed a special bed to sleep in. There was nights he would get up and climb into my bed, but that happens. I hope this helps!

Answer by loveprincess003 at 11:36 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I have a crib tent for my climbing daughter, and we both love it! It surrounds the whole crib, with the mattress on top of it to hold it down. I don't know what I would do without it! She thinks it is so cool to sleep in a "tent" everynight. Obviously, once she is potty training well, she will have to move to a big girl bed, but I am in no rush to have sleepless nights battling her to stay put! Good luck.

Answer by lilyflowersmama at 11:38 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Our grandson was around that age too. Our daughter removed all harmful things from the room and put a mattress flat on the floor. then she could close the door with a safety thingee on the handle, and her little guy was 100% safe. And he loves his room. no change table, dresser....insert safety plugs in electrical outlets, and you're set!

Answer by salgal16 at 11:50 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• They are probably ready for a toddler bed then with a bed railing.

Answer by maryztutti at 11:51 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• We use a Crib Tent. 17 months is a bit young to have the free run of the house or even just his room while you are sound asleep.

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:02 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• My daughter was out of her crib at 14 months old. If he's climbing out of it then he needs to be out of it. you'll just have to put him in a toddler bed and deal with him crawling out until you can teach him to stay in it.

Answer by CandaceHalfhill at 12:03 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• It might be time for a toddler bed. When my kids do that I transition them to the bed. Transition may be hard though.

Answer by jfreesNish at 12:12 PM on Jun. 19, 2008