My son is lying about buying his lunch and throwing away his packed lunch.

My son has been throwing away the packed lunch I give him (for his diet!) and buying lunches - sometimes doubles. He is outright lying when I ask him about his lunch time habits.

TeenaLeydig

Asked by TeenaLeydig at 1:07 PM on Mar. 8, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Where is he getting the money for the lunches he is buying?
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 1:09 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Stop putting money into his account. If he can buy on Fridays, send him to school with the amount he'll need. If that's his only way to pay for lunches, it will put a stop to it. For a punishment, cut off Fridays lunches for a few weeks as well.
    Anonymous

• Dress up in the gaudiest outfit you have put on alot of make up pack him and you a lunch and show up (with schools permission of course) at his classroom just before lunch and have lunch with him in front of the entire student body. I promise you he will eat whatever you pack from then on. Oh and be sure to put on alot of lipstic so when you give him a kiss it leaves a nice lip print on his cheek.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 1:15 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Uh oh!
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 1:09 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I take it that his sacked lunch is either due to allergies or weight, seeing as you mentioned it's for his diet.
    That would lead me to believe that he's refusing to follow the diet guidelines set out for him.
    Well, call him out on it. Maybe even talk to the school and see if they can help you keep him on the right track.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:09 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I would try to talk to him about why he is going this. He may be throwing his lunch away because it "isn't cool" to bring a lunch at his age or he is getting picked on because of what is in his packed lunch. Try to see if there is a way you can compromise. Maybe he can bring a packed lunch with somethings that he likes or maybe there is a way he can eat lunch at school that still follows his diet.

I know my son is in middle school and the lunches are a little different then elementry school.

Good Luck!

cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 1:13 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I supply the money into an account at school. I allow him to buy on Fridays. I thought the money was going quickly, but my son lied and said he didn't know why it was going so fast. It is the lying I am concerned with.
    TeenaLeydig

Comment by TeenaLeydig (original poster) at 1:13 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I would be concerned with the lying too. I have one daughter who is very, very non-confrontational and will lie just to avoid arguments. It sounds like you need to have a nice talk with him about the importance of being honest and truthful. I do this with my daughter, as well as reading books outlining bad things that can happen when you're not honest (fiction books, so they entertain but get the point across).
    Do you think that's a good way to deal with it? Or is he more the type that will respond to punishment for the lies?
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 1:15 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• the lying would hurt me the worst...
    JazzyJes

Answer by JazzyJes at 1:16 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Thanks. I'll take the lying issue and address that first. I am just hurt that he could lie that easily to me and I'll be sure he knows that how hurt I am Also that I can catch his lies because I am the Mom!!! There will be punishment too!

TeenaLeydig

Comment by TeenaLeydig (original poster) at 1:23 PM on Mar. 8, 2011