my daughter doesn't take oral medication. Help!

My almost 4 year old daughter does not take oral medication we have to force her down and sometimes blow in her face or hold her nose so she can swallow. The RN reccommended us to do this. I think it's kinda harsh to do it like this and it takes alot from my daughter and I never look forward to it. So we started giving her, her medication in her juice and/or chocolate milk and she noticed and would never drink it all so I'm not sure if shes actually getting anything from doing it like this but I don't know what else to do. She just had a surgery and has medication to take every 4-6 hours and 4 times a day for her surgery for the next 5 days and I don't know what to do or how to go about it so she can take her medication without a big fight or her not drinking it all. Any suggestions?

babyangelromero

Asked by babyangelromero at 12:27 PM on Nov. 22, 2008 in General Parenting

• Go to your pharmacist and ask them if they have flavored syrups that you can use to administer medication. Our pharmacy has over 30 different flavors; my daughter likes bubble gum and cherry. We mix her medicine in the syrup and she takes it no problem.
    Anonymous

• Oh my. This is a worry for you. I don't like the idea of holding her nose and so forth, that is a scary thing and may actually cause her to have other fears as she gets older. I like the answer already given about the syrups. Or could you try bribery? Wrap a bunch of inexpensive toys and tell her she gets to pick one every time she takes her med?

Answer by Bmat at 12:38 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• At 4 she is old enough to understand that if she wont drink it on her own you have to do the plug her nose. Would also try the small bribery, even if it is a handful of m&s' or a kiss. When my ds was young we had to not only plug his nose, but tip his head back too- it was AWFUL on me, but as you said DR told us that was better than not getting the meds in him. Mixing it in drinks is not good, they might not get the whole dose, and sometimes reduces effectiveness of the medicine.
    Anonymous

• I have a 2 year old that has to take a slew of medicines -- definitely try flavored. Its a huge help for us. We put it in a shot dispenser and she sucks it up. (We did a grape flavor) Also whenever its an option ask about chewable alternatives - my daughter LOVES her gummy vitamins, and also has to take a chewable low dose aspirin. She doesn't mind any of it. I wouldn't force it down her throat.. I would cheer her on and reward her.. "Can you swallow all this yummy medicine? I bet you can't! No WAY! LOOK AT THAT! You did GREAT! Good job sweetie!" Thats what we do with reluctant participants, we turn it in to a "challenge" and reward it verbally when they do it. Good luck Momma!
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 2:58 PM on Nov. 22, 2008