Scaling back Christmas..

Is anyone else scaling back thier Christmas? Last year I totally went all out. This year, I shopped ahead for clearance and still, I am doing a lot less...

I started to avoid a spoiled child but now it is money related too.

Are you scaling back and why?

TurksMommy

Asked by TurksMommy at 12:34 PM on Nov. 22, 2008 in Shopping

• I am...because I believe that children can really lose what the true idea of Christmas is. I know as a kid I expected A LOT for Christmas and that's waht I got, even though my parents were pretty poor! I don't know how they pulled it off! I really want my kids to be grateful for the small amount of presents that they get. So...they will be helping me make gifts for our family members and they will get three or four educational and imaginative gifts from us.
    hgibsonorc

Answer by hgibsonorc at 12:50 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• We have always tried to keep it in control mainly b/c we want them to remember what Christmas is all about....we are Christians, so we give 3 gifts from mommy and daddy.......and Santa brings 3 gifts......just like baby Jesus got.......(then stocking stuffers too) there is always MORE than enough to be exciting.....and the relatives give too.....in my opinion....we could scale back even more.....

Right before Christmas, I get my kids together and we pile up toys to give away to a local homeless women and childrens shelter.....trying to remind them of all they do have ;)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 1:06 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• Yep I have to this year. Dh lost his job in June and although we had a buit over 5 mths of back salary in savings we have to live off that ya know. Im only spending around 100-150 on each kid and not buying anything for adults.

Answer by gemgem at 1:11 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• we come from a huge fam. so i dont spoil my kids everyone else does. plus i dont want them growing up expecting alot.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 2:54 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• yes, I am limiting it to buying from my company website and spending less
    nanaevelyn

Answer by nanaevelyn at 4:02 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• I spend about $100 on each of my 2 kids and mye & hubby cap off at $50 for each other. We have a few select family members we give $20 gift cards to. We have always kept to this limit.
    babemakes4

Answer by babemakes4 at 10:15 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• I have to a little because we're starting a new business and will need most of the money for that.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 8:18 PM on Nov. 25, 2008