The epidural.

I am watching "pregnant in america" and they are basically saying that an epidurl is not worth the risk? Is there really that big of a risk while having an epidural. Did you deliver your baby with or without the epidural?? I did the end part of L&D with an epidural. What are your views on an epidural.

JordonMichelle

Asked by JordonMichelle at 1:32 PM on Mar. 8, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I think that it's much too risky for me!!
    Since there are so many other options to help with labor coping I wouldn't want to add unnecessary risks to myself or my baby.

There is no need!
    ;-)

doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:34 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I had my first 3 without an epidural. It was doable but not very fun lol. My 4th I did have one because I was induced and tried as I did the pain was so much more intense I had to get one. I didnt have any problems at all. The only thing I did notice is my labor was a little longer and pushing was a little longer. I also had one with my 5th, but they did it wrong and only half of me was numb. But again besides that no complications. I dont even have pain after and I know some women say they still have back issues years after getting one.

Answer by gemgem at 1:34 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Oh, yes, my babies were born without any meds.
    doulala

• I never had and never would have an epidural. And, yes, there ARE very real risks with epidurals. I've actually known 2 women to have strokes following epidurals. The first woman I knew it happened to was about 14 years ago. Then just last week a girl I know had a stroke after an epidural. She actually became paralyzed for 3 days. Of course, stroke isn't the only risk, but it's certainly a very serious one.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 1:36 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• i had two different kinds of epidurals. the regular conventional one for me first and a "walking" epi for my second. i like the second better. but when i talked to the doc my main concern was about the drugs transfering to the baby in which with epi they dont unlike iv drugs. there are risks with epi just like any other procedure and if you get a inexperience person doing it on you it can increase the risk but personally i prefer having and epi and would have done it any other way. the walking one is great you dont have any pain but your can feel your legs and move around like normal and even feel the contracts when you need to push just no pain.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 1:38 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• there are risks that come with epidurals. Spinal headaches- to me one. I personally am terrified of having a needle shoved into my spinal cord.

As for the biggest risk is that once you stop feeling those surges and contractions your body stops or at least slows down the production of the hormones that progress labor- leading to the need of pitocin- which causes longer, stronger more painful contractions- leading to you needing to have your epidural increased.

I don't think it's worth it. I am preparing myself for a natural birth. I have even instructed my partner, doula, midwife and her nurses not to mention the word "epidural" to me until I give them my safeword.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 1:39 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• my daughter i had nothing for the pain and with my twins i had a spinal block since it worked right away and i had a c-section
    devinalexis

Answer by devinalexis at 1:39 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Im greatful I had the epidural because after giving birth to my beautiful daughter I almost bled to death and the Dr. couldn't make it stop and ended up sticking his arm YES ARM from the tips of his fingers to the edge of his shoulder all the way up my hoo haw and into my stomach and junk THANK GOD FOR THE EPIDURAL because i wouldn't have been able to make it through that on my own without dying. I usually have a high pain tolerance but that would have crossed my pain tolerance levels lol!! I want to try a natural birth at some point just worried I might end up like the last Birth!!
    JordonMichelle

Comment by JordonMichelle (original poster) at 1:39 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• hi op! i have had 5 children with no meds before during or after birth. for my first child i too had my midwife reach into me to remove my placenta, because i had lost and was losing so much blood. i still did that with no meds. i know it hurt because i said the "f" word...but i do not remember the pain at all. i had 4 babies after that that did not require the manual extraction of the placenta! i think the odds must be small that that could happen again. you can do it naturally!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 1:45 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I hope so DF wants to try and have an at home birth but I think until I know all is safe if i do have a natural birth I still want to do it at the hospital. (and it scares me to have an at home birth)
    JordonMichelle

Comment by JordonMichelle (original poster) at 1:50 PM on Mar. 8, 2011