My little girl has lost her mind!

my 3 1/2 yo daughter is good for the most part but it seems like the time outs and pops on the thigh arnd "conversations" are not working anymore. i can't take her anywhere without her not listening, running all around, telling me to "go away", etc. i dont know what else to do. she goes to day care through the week and is good there. but as soon as we get home its like she just loses her mind. and this is how it is all weekend. i dont even enjoy spending time with hter like i used to because she is not enjoyable right now. and ideas?

iluvmybabe

Asked by iluvmybabe at 2:06 PM on Mar. 8, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My daughter turned 3 in December. How I handle situations like that is, if she's at home throwing a tantrum, she goes to her room. I don't yell, I don't reason, I don't negotiate. I simply say, "Obviously your upset about something, and thats fine, but your crying is disruptive. You can go in your room and when you calm down and want to TALK to mommy with your words about whats bothering you, you can come out and we will talk.". This works really well, because when she's throwing a tantrum what she's craving is my attention. She's learning that she will get my attention by using her big girl words, and I will NOT pay attention to her if she is being obnoxious. Yay for healthy communication skills
    CollegeMommy121

Answer by CollegeMommy121 at 4:48 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I hear these are the terrible 3's - my son turned 3 in Nov and around January I started noticing this also except he was acting out in daycare also - we are currently trying a reward system instead of a constant tryings of discipline.. on week 2 and so far so good
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:09 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• My daughter will be 4 on Saturday and I feel exactly the way you do.

If you're out and about and she's misbehaving 1) stick her in a cart so she can't run off, then 2) leave if she can't be good. We STILL do that for my 7.5 year old when we're out and about. I have absolutely no problem leaving a store in the middle of shopping if my kids can't behave. Same for the mouthing off and such. They get one warning to turn the attitude off, or they leave the store. If she's acting up at home she can be a pill in her room. Tantrums and bad behavior DO NOT belong in MY living room. She can come out when she's calmed down.

On the other side of it too, she may be having these metldowns because she IS at home and feels safe and secure there. Everyone, not just kids, needs to have that one place where they can have a complete meltdown and still know they're loved. That safe harbor idea. Good parenting gives that safe harbor.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 2:25 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• *Sunday, she'll be 4 on Sunday the 13th. The PARTY is Saturday. Know where my mind is?
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 2:26 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• my daughter 3.5
    did i write this question and not remember
    could be, i did lose my ming a few months back
    lol
    i am in same boat

naughty naughty naughty
    she is naughty at school too, so they see too
    naughty really equals tantrum (autism meltdown in this house)
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 4:40 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Agree with rosehawk and make sure she has one on one time with you and your SO. And praise her when she does things right. Sometimes kids go for the negative attention when they do not get enough positive attention. GL!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:42 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• so sorry you are going through this and all I can say is good luck and hope others can give you some sound advice because I don't have any right now.....sorry

Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 9:26 AM on Mar. 10, 2011