Ummmm...am i just been a rude host

alright ladies me and my dh is having a fish/shrimp fry and crawfish boil this saturday with family and friends there should be about 25-30 people there. okay first of all we all know how expensive seafood is plus we gonna have sides and "adult beverages". so my SIL said y'all should add some lobster tails and snow crabs to the menu and i was like "ummmm excuse me i just wanted to have a nice little gathering with good laughter i am not trying to break da damn bank." was i wrong for saying that i wasnt trying to be rude but people can always tell you what you should do when it's not their money!! what you think

mztxdelta

Asked by mztxdelta at 2:10 PM on Mar. 8, 2011 in Entertainment

• It annoys me when people constantly have an opinion but they never want to do the work or put out the money. I think it depends on how you said it but it probably sounded a bit rude if you didnt say it with a big smile :)
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:15 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Well, you could have responded a little more politely, but I agree, it was rude of your SIL to suggest having those expensive foods without suggesting that she bring them herself. You could even have said to her, "That's a great idea, how much are you bringing?" and maybe she would have agreed to foot the bill for that stuff.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 2:18 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• @ ria 7 i did follow the comment with a big laugh but you right sometime you have to watch your tone,but girl you right people have that bad always want to put their two cents in but with no effort on their part
    mztxdelta

Comment by mztxdelta (original poster) at 2:19 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• @ mom yeah you right next time i need to watch how i word it but one thing i know no matter how i said it she was not footing that bill.lol
    mztxdelta

Comment by mztxdelta (original poster) at 2:20 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I see this with scouts, sports, school activites all the time. NO ONE wants to help, it is always the same people and then the people showing up to pick up theri kids say what we could have done for the event. It's nice that they have ideas but where were they when we were meeting and shopping for supplies and setting everything up? Exactly..getting a pedicure!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:47 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• happyOh by the way I said that with a big smile and a bless their heart at the end

ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:49 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• just put a 'beers for bucks' jar out i know it sounds kind of tacky but if your covering the whole bill then just have people bring change and throw in what they can 50 cents a $1 whatever they want and they dont have to do it every time they get a drink, and if anyone is rude enough to say something just say you would like to do this again and any money in they jar will go to the next party... we do this every weekend and if someones short that week then the money everyone else throws in covers it without anyone ever knowing.

And you were a lot nicer than i would have been. I would have just told her that it sounded great as long as she was buying. lol
    thesouthernmom

Answer by thesouthernmom at 6:34 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I would have said to her, "sure sounds great, why don't you pick that up and bring it?"
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 9:39 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I would tell her what the menu plan was and tell her that if she wanted to bring something to the party that it would be apreciated lol
    theirmom198

Answer by theirmom198 at 10:08 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Hey, speak your mind.... maybe they will think before they speak next time. Heck, seafood is expensive, especially if this gathering is free of charge. I hope you enjoy. :))
    ShellyRo

Answer by ShellyRo at 4:34 PM on Mar. 19, 2011