When is a toddler to old for naps?

My 4 yr old told me he was done taken naps today for the past few days he has not wanted to go to sleep he wakes up any where between 6:30 to 7:00 in the morning but the past few nites he wakes up before midnite and ends up in my bed and some times i dont no hes there until i get up are roll over i have 2 other boys and they were not like that they both liked there naps untill about 5 and they are now 15 and 8

dasiey

Asked by dasiey at 2:11 PM on Mar. 8, 2011 in General Parenting

• I napped until I was six. Is something scaring him?
    sydash11

Answer by sydash11 at 2:13 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• my son just turned 3 and he naps sometime but when he does i will only let him nap 1hr if not he is up all night and doesnt sleep well at night..
    good luck
    moe7e

Answer by moe7e at 2:15 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Neither of my first two kids took naps after age three.
    1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 2:16 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• My kids took naps till kindergarten... And even during K, they sometimes took naps on weekends...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:20 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• my son is 3 and takes a nap that he fights to take on most parts. But if he doesn't get a nap in somehow we end up in the hospital cuz he is very clumsy when he is tired. If No nap occurs because of a family function it is early bed time at night and then he wakes up a half hr early in the morning so then it is early nap time the next day. But most it's a nap, I figured he can keep napping till he is about 4 and half, then quite time after that. Up in his room watching a movie for an hr.
    2boysyahoo.com

Answer by 2boysyahoo.com at 2:24 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• It's different for every kid. I know some 2 year olds that are fine with no naps, but my 2.5 year old ds still takes them most days. If it's that big of an issue, perhaps you could do "quiet time" instead of naps, where he has to stay in his room and play quietly for a set amount of time each day. If he doesn't go to sleep it's no biggie, that down time still refreshes him. And if he does wind up taking a nap, yay for you lol.
    ShadowRaven

Answer by ShadowRaven at 2:26 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• My 6 yr old stopped taking naps at 2 1/2 and my 4 yr old stopped taking naps at 3yrs my 2 yr old still takes one 2hr nap a day. They go to bed at 8:30 and all wake up at 6:30-7am. But i dont think theres a age limit when still a toddler, if it was me i would let my child take a nap till about 6mths before school starts to get out of the habit :) my 1 yr old takes a couple naps a day!
    Barbie_Cinalli

Answer by Barbie_Cinalli at 2:27 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• If my daughter, 4 years old, naps it's because she's super tired or sick. For the past nearly a year it's been a harder and harder struggle to get her to even have quiet time.

Every child is different. If they're on the younger side try getting them to have some quiet time in their rooms instead of sleeping. If they're older try adjusting bed time to accommodate.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 2:33 PM on Mar. 8, 2011