He's always eating, but yet he's underweight.

My son is going on 3, and he weighs 29 pounds. (he's also under the average height too for his age) He eats ALL the time though, but he just doesnt seem to be growing at all. Seems like he stopped growing at the moment he turned 2. Whats going on with him?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:12 PM on Mar. 8, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Sometimes kids just grow at their own pace. My 11 yo has always been underweight - it's just his body type. He eats at least as much as I do, usually more, he just burns it all off. Unless he starts losing weight or another problem develops, I wouldn't worry about him.

Answer by missanc at 2:15 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Not all kids grow at the same rate. Are you or his father small (short, skinny, etc.) or had trouble putting on weight as a kid? Genetics plays into it a lot.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 2:15 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• he will probly shoot up , and you will notice all his pants getting short , bring this up next time you see dr. this happened with one of my sons.
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 2:15 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• what is the dr's opinion?

is he still on whole milk? I'd keep him on it, and up his fat content for awhile and see what happens. like make mashed tatos w/ heavy whipping cream, etc
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:15 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• i have the same problem with my 3 year old son haiden. he was small since he as inside me and becuase of it they thought his placenta and umbilical cord stopped so they induced me 3 weeks before his due date. he weighed 5lbs 4oz and 18inches. He is now 3 years old and weighs in at 23lbs and 34inches. he eats breakfast, snacks, supper, peidasure, and junk-food and still won't gain weight. he has been below the third percentile since he was born. His baby brother is half the size of him at 5months old already and he weighs in at 17lbs 4oz and 27inches.
    I have been concerned with my son since he is three now, but the dr doesn't seem worried no more and just keeps a regular weight check and height check at every visit even when he gets sick. I thought i would have to take him to get tested for any midget or dwarfism but doc said no she thinks he will spike up when he hit puberty
    2boysyahoo.com

Answer by 2boysyahoo.com at 2:18 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• As long as he is height/weight proportional I wouldn't worry too much. I have the opposite ned of the spectrum problem. My 7.5 year old son is the size of most 10 year olds and my 4 year old daughter is the size of most 5-6 year olds. Because they're so tall people expect more good manners out of them.

When my son was 1ish or so I had a WIC "official" piss me off. Monday of that week we'd had his well baby/child check up and his doctor told me he was just fine even though he was the 95-98% for his weight. He was proportionate so she was ok with how big he was. Later that week we had a WIC appointment and that *ahem* looked me dead in the eye and told me to stop feeding my son so much he was overweight.

This is the same office that told me I needed to gain at least 50 pounds with my pregnancy. Told my doctor that and she got a real angry look on her face. Also told me that explained A LOT about some of her other patients.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 2:47 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• all kids are different and all kids grow at their own pace; I would just continue doing what you are and if you are really concerned talk to his doctor

Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 9:25 AM on Mar. 10, 2011