Venting

not a question just a vent. A friend of mine and my husbands wants to get a dog so we all went to the ASPCA. we looked and he said he didnt see one he wanted cuz he wants a puppy. After talking he said he wants a pure breed lab puppy. Hubby and i are trying to not only talk him out of getting a puppy since he works long hours and wont be able to potty train but also not spending an arm and a leg on a pure breed when there are plenty of dogs who need to be adopted from the ASPCA. he is dead set on getting a lab puppy. Just bugs the crap out of me when there are so many sweet dogs he can adopt. He is single so there is no need to watch out for dogs who arent used to being around kids. and him working long hours isnt good for the puppy. where we live it gets too hot to keep the pup outside for long periods of time. ugh he is being selfish... thats my vent!

proudmom611

Asked by proudmom611 at 2:16 PM on Mar. 8, 2011 in Pets

• If he works long hours then having a dog is probably not a good thing for him. Puppy or full grown.
    Anonymous

• and there again is another example of WHY there are so many dogs that need to be adopted.. everyone wants a puppy and this is also why so many breeds are being created - every one seems to want a particular breed -sad
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:19 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Oh, I so wish he'd go back to the ASPCA! I just adopted a precious little poodle last week from our animal shelter. He's so sweet, and loving, but it's obvious he's got some pretty bad mental and emotional scars from whatever happened to him before. I named him Sheldon (after the character on The Big Bang Theory). Labs are so much work, so hyper,and as you said, he won't be around to housebreak like he should. There are so many wonderful animals, just begging for homes from the ASPCA, and so many who won't find them, because someone wanted a purebred lab puppy! Hope he has a change of heart.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 2:20 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Yes, he is being selfish. A large dog like a lab needs lots of exercise & room to run, plus they thrive on attention. We have two lab mixes that we adopted and they are the best dogs ever, but they do need lots of attention. I hope your friend comes to his senses.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 2:21 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• we adopted our dog.. why cant he do the same! i swear stupid people! i fell in love with a dog at the shelter but we cant adopt her, we are due to move out of state and we already have a dog. she was the sweetest dog ever real shy though :(

proudmom611

Comment by proudmom611 (original poster) at 2:28 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• If he is insisting on adopting a purebred lab suggest that he look into a purebred rescue.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 5:16 PM on Mar. 8, 2011