Is it bad to give baby 1/2 breast milk and 1/2 formula

Dani3lla

Asked by Dani3lla at 2:36 PM on Mar. 8, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• if ur EP join the EP group on here we can help u with ur supply if want! but its totally ok to use both of course breast milk is better but if u need to use formula its ok! and getting 2oz every 2-3 hours from each side is normal! join the exclusively pumping group we would love to help u!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 3:25 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I would not do it in the same bottle. But they can have both in their diet.
    Hatsumomo

Answer by Hatsumomo at 2:38 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• You can do both in the same bottle, if necessary. My daughter was a preemie and I had to pump for several months because she couldn't latch on properly. We were advised by the NICU nutritionist to supplement my breastmilk with NeoSure (a formula that had to be special ordered) because she needed the extra calories.
    Anonymous

• You say you seem to only be getting 2 oz every 2-3 hrs. Are you basing this on your pump output? If so, (unless you're exclusively pumping) it means NOTHING. Baby gets more then the pump, and average pump output is between half an ounce, to two ounces per pump session. If you're nursing, and changing 6-8 diapers in a 24 hr period, then your supply is fine. If you're exclusively pumping, there are things you can do to increase pump output, though I'm not too familiar with them as I didn't pump much. Stop into the Breastfeeding Moms group, attend a LLL meeting, and check out Kellymom.com for tips.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:45 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• In the same bottle or alternating between the two at feedings?

Answer by admckenzie at 2:36 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Its not BAD per se, its better to give BM in a seperate bottle since BM doesn't go bad as fast as formula and if baby tastes the bottle it goes bad in an hour for formula but you can wait up to 4 with BM. PLUS formula tends to kill some of the living nutrients in BM when they are mixed.

Is there a reason you are doing both? DO you need help with supply?
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 2:39 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• You can mix it together or alternate, but it can cause some digestive issues and fussiness. I did both with my twins. One of my twins tolerated it well, but the other one had a really rough time with it. I ended up switching to just formula, and the one having a tough time was like a different baby after that. 

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 2:41 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I wouldn't do it in the same bottle but if you wanted to alternate between feedings, its fine. I did this when my supply started to dwindle.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 2:44 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• yes i semm to only be getting 2 oz every 2-3 hrs
    Dani3lla

Comment by Dani3lla (original poster) at 2:49 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• nutrients can only be destroyed by extreme heat, not by formula :rolls eyes: pay no attention to the dumb breastfeeding nazi. all of them tell lies. formula and bm is a healthy diet
    Anonymous