Was it YOUR choice?

to be a working mom or a stay at home mom?

Did you (with hubs in put of course) choose where you are now or were there circumstances that caused you be a working mom or sahm?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:47 PM on Mar. 8, 2011 in General Parenting

• yes we talked about it first. Giving up a source of income is a big deal, esp nowadays. And no sign of getting a job any time soon either.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 2:49 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Right now my husband and I both work full time and we have a 2 y/o son. We got pregnant early so our plan was sped up, but so far so good. Right now my whole income is going toward a down payment on a house as well as furnishing/appliaces, etc. As soon as we're in a house and settled in, I plan on quitting and possibly getting a part time job. My long term goal is to no longer be working full time/shift work when my son starts kindergarten, and when he starts kindergarten is when we plan on having another baby....
    1st_time_mom23

Answer by 1st_time_mom23 at 2:51 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Because my XH had quit his job when I was 8 months, When he did find a job, it was paying a lot less than what he was making. Also, since he had went thru 6 jobs in the 4 years before we got married, well, you can see where that leads when applying for a job.

Then, when DD was 2, he cheated and 1 year later we divorced, leaving me as a single parent, I had to work.

I don't mind too much. Now, getting married in June and very few bills, I have the opportunity to stay home when we have a baby.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:51 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Most of the time, there were no choices. We needed health insurance because hubby was a construction worker. There were no benefits for him, so I worked full time to provide the health insurance benefits. We never lived off any type of welfare in our entire history. That's the way we wanted it. Now that the kids are grown and on their own, they too work to provide full time benefits and income for their families. No choices. We don't believe in any type of assistance unless of course, there is no other way. As long as we are able to work, we work.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 2:52 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Xdei wish I could be a sahm but unfortunately, we require two incomes.
    sydash11

Answer by sydash11 at 2:52 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• completely circumstance, when i was with my ds's dad we couldn't afford shild care so i stayed home and after he and i broke up and is not paying child support nor is he helping out in any way so i moved back home with my family and am looking for night jobs and online college classes
    lashes325

Answer by lashes325 at 2:52 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• It was and is my choice. DH prefers me to stay home as well...although if I wanted to work outside the home, he wouldn't say not to.Economically..it just makes sense for me to stay home with the children right now..besides that I do make money doing some work at home...I'll never get rich from it but it helps.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:54 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• We talked about it while we were still dating...he said that any woman that he ends up marrying he want their focus to be on the children....at first this rubbed me the wrong way but he made a VERY strong argument for being a sahm...so...we both decided that it was the right choice for our family
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 2:57 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I worked in my career for over 10 years and married for 13 before my DD was born. I've never had a desire to be a SAHM, so it really was an easy choice to continue working.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 3:00 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• husband is totaly pushing me to get a job
    Dani3lla

Answer by Dani3lla at 3:14 PM on Mar. 8, 2011