Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do Battered Women's Shelters have a website for family to contact them? adult content

I have reason the believe that my DD is having problems with her marriage, and she wants to get out but she doesn't know how. I want to able to help her and walk her through the steps to do the right thing by her and her children. I was there and I done that a long time ago. I struggled on my own because my family wasn't there for me. I can't go into to much detail with out embarrassing her. I just want her to be happy, and to live without fear and anxiety in her life.


Asked by Anonymous at 2:47 PM on Mar. 8, 2011 in Relationships

This question is closed.
Answers (6)
  • it's not going to be easy to contact her (otherwise it would be easier for the abuser), but she will have access to contact you when needed. definitely look things up, and really it's much easier if you just call the national hotline for domestic violence- they have resources and would be able to answer questions such as this. good luck and i think you're doing the right thing helping your daughter get out- i, like you, had no family to help when it was me and that was VERY hard. best of luck.

    Answer by lexi8622 at 3:29 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

  • Most shelters pretty much stay under the radar to keep the abuser from locating them. The best thing you can do is call your local shelter to see what you can do to help her. Ultimately, she is going to have to help herself before anyone else can help her. First Call For Help is an excellent resource for this type of info. You can generally reach them by dialing 211 on your land line.

    Answer by specialwingz at 2:52 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

  • there should be a way to contact if they want contact , they will probly tell you they will give her a msg , so she will contact you if wants to

    Answer by letstalk747 at 2:49 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

  • I don't THINK that shelters would give out information on who's living there and who isn't. Talking to your local police station and asking for an anonymous welfare check could help her too. You give the cops the info and they go check on her, but don't tell anyone why they're there except to make sure everyone is all right. Restraining Order, No-contact Order and Order of Protection also come to mind to keep the jer away from your daughter.

    Answer by Rosehawk at 2:57 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

  • You can google your states shelter or contact the national domestic violence hotline at:

    Answer by admckenzie at 3:12 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

  • Each shelter is run differently and its residents can also be treated differently depending on the circumstances. Your best bet is to contact local shelters, ask them any questions you may have about staying in contact with your daughter. I stayed in a shelter briefly with my children, I wasn't allowed to go anywhere by myself (things I or my children needed were brought to me and I had a police escort to and from work) and after the first night was moved to a shelter in another part of the state to keep my ex-husband from finding me or our children. I was allowed a prepaid cell phone to contact family but I wasn't allowed to give any details about where I was, who I was seeing or speaking to and I wasn't allowed to arrange any meetings with family or friends - at least not until after all the court proceedings were done and the officials were confident that mine and my kids safety was no longer an issue.

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:28 PM on Mar. 8, 2011