Can you really just "all of a sudden" get Anxiety attacks ??

Literally for no reason and being 30 with no less stress than normal, start getting freak anxiety attacks or do you think there is a real chance it could be something else? NO medical history of anxiety or mental illness in the family either..
My friend is going through this - she has now these heart racing crazy attacks out of no where and she went to the Dr today who instantly wanted to prescribe her 3 different types of anxiety meds..
The Dr did no type of blood work or tests to see if it "could be" something else at all... is this normal practice?

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 2:55 PM on Mar. 8, 2011 in Health

• Mine started when I was in a senior in HS...I was sitting in History class and out of know where, I started shaking and feeling disoriented. I thought WTF is going on....I found out it was a panic attack. So I have learned to deal with anxiety on a day to day basis and I do take a xanax when need, so yes they can start out of the blue
    justalady774

Answer by justalady774 at 3:00 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Her doctor should do a full work up to see if everything is working properly. I have had anxiety attacks ever since surgery as a little girl and panic attacks ever since a rape in college. I'm sure people can have anxiety without having a traumatic experience though. I'd go to another doctor before I took meds she may not need.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:10 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• ive been dealing with anxiety ever since i became a mom, however sometimes it disappears for months and just comes back out of the blue when i least expect it. and then it doesn't go away again for a long time (i dont take meds) but if i were her id ask for a full blood work up and get a second opinion.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:14 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I had doctors try to do that to me once I hate that they don't have a clue what is wrong but they want to make you "Feel Better".
    stitchintime

Answer by stitchintime at 3:17 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• It happened to me when my thyroid got out of control. The anxiety meds actually made things worse for me. I would advise her to request some testing before taking the meds. Since it's "out of the blue" I would definitely suspect it might be caused by some sort of medical problem, such as a hormone imbalance. If she's recently had a baby, gained or lost weight, or had any other type of change I would be even more inclined to suspect a medical cause.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 4:36 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• That is how mine started but I had a lot of life changing things happen within a short amount of time and I just kinda went through the motions of life for a few years till August of 2007 when I had my 1st anixiety attack my DR recc finding a therapist(talk only) and trying yoga(meditation),walking, and finding time for myself only after running blood test to find out if my Thyroid(and a few other things) weren't out of whack so IMO I would suggest to your friend to find an new DR that will LISTEN instead of just putting her on meds. If you want tips for your friend on how to deal with Anxiety attacks(and hopefully stop them) leave me a message on my page. :)
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 9:48 PM on Mar. 8, 2011