Anyone own Chickens?

We are thinking about getting some Chickens. I need personal experiences with Chickens...anyone? Do you like owning them? Are they nice? Is it worth it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:58 PM on Mar. 8, 2011 in Home & Garden

• They smell. lol
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 2:59 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I loathe chickens.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 3:01 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Oh they do smell. I would much rather smell cow manure than chicken.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 3:02 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Some friends have 5, I think. They produce enough eggs for the family of 4. I'd love to have some as well, but in our yard it would be like hanging a "free meal" sign for the fox, coyote, owls and hawks.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 3:04 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• They smell even if you clean their coop often? What else can you tell me? hhaha
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:04 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• lol...Most people I know who owe chickens, own huge chicken house farms. Where I'm from that's how most people make their living, well that and cows. My DH could tell you more, he has taken several poultry classes, and he thinks he wants to own chicken houses one day. My uncle owns game cocks and hens and they are a little men. There is no telling how many times I've been chased by a hen with chicks. My sister and BIL owed 3 Dominique and Rhode Island red. The Dominique are friendly and easily handled, but their dog was terrified of the Rhode Island red. Here's a link to give you more info.

http://www.backyardchickens.com/breeds/breed-chart
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 3:21 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• They do have a distinct smell, but if you clean their pen and put down litter regularly, then you shouldn't really smell them that badly. Also, chickens can make great pets- we used to have one that would follow us around like a dog, and loved to be picked up and petted. Fresh eggs are really good too, and you're not getting all of the hormones or whatever is in eggs at the grocery store. Roosters are going to crow, and hens cackle a good bit, so don't put them right next to your bedroom window or anything.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 3:22 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• If you have a big enough space, mother nature will take care of the smell. It is when you put a ton of chickens in a small yard you have trouble, esp when rainy or humid.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:52 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• When we lived in the country we had chickens and it wasn't bad. They smell if you don't clean out their pen (if it's small), but that's the case with any animal. They also provide you with eggs and if you want to do the butchering - meat. I would rather own chickens over ducks or geese any day.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 12:55 PM on Mar. 10, 2011